Edinburgh, Scotland

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Jul 25, 2014.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Has anyone ever been??

My husband and I are going on a golf trip to Scotland in September with our friends. We are going to be staying in St. Andrews for the bulk of the trip, but the two of us are going to be going a day ahead of the other couple we will be with.

We are flying into Edinburgh and have decided to stay in the city that night since we have to pick the friends up the next morning from the airport.

I researched and found a hotel, but I'm struggling on dinner.

Does anyone know any good places to eat if you've been there? I know the chances are, no one has, but figured I'd ask. I made a reservation here: http://www.thegardenerscottage.co/ because I liked the idea of just going somewhere and having them serve us local food, but even though there were good reviews, there were too many on further looking that said the food was served lukewarm at best.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Slacker!!

3. LauraR

LOL

And here I thought I was going to see some wonderful advice on eateries in Scotland, Tim.

4. TimW

I would.....if you take me with you!!;)

5. TimW

You should know better by now!! :-D

6. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Never been to Scotland Laura. Remember Grumbles, who is a member here? I bet he could name a few places.
    I had a little look and this place looks nice.

http://www.standrewsrestaurant.co.uk/menu/

Be sure to try out some local dishes such as haggis? :-D If that is not to your taste opt for some good old fashioned fish n' chips ;)

7. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

LoL! at Haggis! Had it a few times, and I guess it was okay, but not into offal, especially sheep lungs and crap, mixed with porridge.!, ugh!:(.
    Was in and around the country-side a few times around Edinburgh as a kid, but always ate home-cookin', ha! Would probably get my head slapped for even suggesting a restaurant, ha!, ha!. not much use to ya, I know, LOL

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Laura

Weirdly NO! dunno why I have not been yet as I do travel a lot around the UKs major cities, nice place so I gather and St Andrews, does that mean golf?

I will ask in work as one of the docs will have been there at some point and they are fussy as hell on food, so will know good restaurants to eat at.

9. LauraR

Sounds like if you went you could eat yummy haggis. :-D

roflmao I really should.

Ummm..:confused

I do remember Grumbles. I haven't seen him in a long time. I thought he was Irish, though. If he's Scottish, I'm sure he'd be highly offended. LOL

Okay, so I am willing to try new things, which I'm sure there are many in Scotland. I will not try organs of any sort though. :puke

That menu does look good, Emma. Thanks.:) I'll keep that one as an option.

The only issue I had was "mushy peas and side salad". Wtf? Mushy peas?

No offal for me either! Ew. I'd love home cooking, but doubt we'll be getting any of that.

Well, get on the stick, Dave, and find me some eats! :-D

Yep, we will be playing golf everyday once we get to St. Andrews. We will not actually be playing there, but will be driving to other places. There is something going on at St. Andrews the week we are there.

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hahahahahaha will do Laura! :)

11. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Yea, I think they got confused way hey is Geordie I think LOL
    ...LOL That was Wildwolf220 who is Irish.
    Don't blame you Laura. It sounds disgusting.
    OMG. Mushy peas are great. And side salad is lovely, The two together just don't jive though.... :-D

12. LauraR

I have no idea what Geordie is either. LOL

Oops...sorry to Grumbles and Wildwolf. I knew someone was Irish. That just shows that both should be posting here still.

If confronted with Mushy peas I will give it a try on your recommendation. I will not, however, order them. LOL

13. TimW

Maybe you can find a McDonalds!! :-D:-D

14. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

@ Laura:- What is Mushy Peas? Basically, just take some tinned peas, open them up and then stamp on them! Yup!, that's mushy peas. (Basically, squished peas, (peas, I like, mushy peas - nope, I let my teeth do the mushing, thanks)).rolleyes
    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushy_peas

Try a deep-fried Mars Bar, if you dare!...:-D

A Geordie is from North-eastern England, typically, Northumberland. A strange breed, I like most of 'em, actually, LoL!;).

For those that need to know, eh.;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds