Need help building a computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaJackel, Jan 21, 2006.

1. DaJackel

DaJackel Private E-2

I'm looking to build a computer for myself and I haven't been up to date on all the new hardware and such.

I'm looking to spend somewhere around $1,000.. no more than $1,500.
    I don't need monitor or anything like that. Just the tower and the insides.
    Don't need Optical Drives either.

(Note, if suggesting on where to buy as well, I'm in Canada)

Thanks guys!

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You shouldn't have to spend that much.

What is the intended use of the PC?

3. DaJackel

DaJackel Private E-2

That's good news.

Mostly Gaming and Game/App Development.

4. Insomniac

Bear in mind I have no idea of the exchange rate or looked it up.

Anyway, an AMD CPU with an nForce 4 chipset board would be ideal.

As far as gaming, do you play 3D games, or fairly simple games?

There is a huge price difference between video cards, and they are the costliest component, so you need to choose wisely for your needs.

5. DaJackel

DaJackel Private E-2

I play new 3d games.
    I'd like a damn good card...

Maybe $300-400 for the card?

Edit:
    I also develop 3d games using DirectX/OpenGL using Shaders.
    So I do need a pretty good card.

6. Insomniac

The best two mid-range chips are the nVidia 6600 GT (make sure it's a GT) and the ATI X800 GTO (newly released)

The next ones up would probably be the nVidia 6800 onwards.

Combined with an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe or Premium motherboard (or an A8N32-SLI Deluxe) , an AMD 3500+ (upward) CPU and 1 GB of RAM, and you will have a very fast machine which will play any current game.

With SLI, you will also have the option of adding another card later if you find it's not coping with newer games.

(The fastest graphic chips currently are the nVidia 7800GTX)

7. DaJackel

DaJackel Private E-2

Thank you, I will shop around for these and post you what I have made for a final system and see what you think.

8. Insomniac

You're welcome.

Try to get the best you can afford and post back before you take the plunge.

I'm sure others will also offer their opinions and recommendations.

9. DaJackel

DaJackel Private E-2

10. DaJackel

DaJackel Private E-2

I'm also missing a power supply.
    Would need help picking one of those out.

11. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

This is just an outline the minimum for this setup would be $800 or so, so this is just the minimum

Mobo-Socket 939 ASUS with SLI
    Cpu-Any socket 939 AMD athlon 64 or better
    PSU-at least 400w choose from a good brand liek antec or OCz
    Gpu-Nvidia 6600gt or better, 7800GTX is the best you can get, choose wisely
    RAM-ddr400 at least 1gb
    Case-Look at the brands aspire and coolermaster, tehy make great cases, be sure there is plenty of room for expansion and cooling
    optical drive-Dvd RW dual layer, tehse are pretty cheap right now
    Hard drive-SATA connection, 250gb is a sweet spot with hard drives, bigger is always better.
    cooling-get some good quality fans, I wouldn't reccomend liquid cooling, but don't settle for junk on this one.

12. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

13. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

If I were you, I'd go for this CPU. It has double the L2 cache and is only $20 more. Overall it's a better chip.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103539

Also, IMO, I'd save a little money and go for a 7800 GT for about $300:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130256

As for a Power Supply, I can always recommend Antec:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103929

But this is the one that I have. It's a little cheaper and has done great for me. I have 5 hard drives 2 optical drives and a floppy hooked up as well as all the normal PC components:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153007

And, as splitter said, that RAM will not work. You'll need something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145575
    It's $197 after $40 rebate.

14. DaJackel

DaJackel Private E-2

15. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

I think 2 gigs of RAM wouldn't hurt. I would also recommend an X1900 series video card. With that budget you should be aiming for the best.

That said, the canada to us exchange rate is painful I think.

and do not get a cheap power supply, get 500w+

16. Insomniac

Everything you have chosen looks pretty good.

It will be expensive, but you are getting premium parts.

As far as the video card, most nVidia chips (don't get ATI) use a reference design, so there isn't a huge difference in terms of performance between different cards.

Rather than worrying about the different brand 7800GT's, go for a well priced one that has extras like games and cables etc.

Just make sure the video card doesn't use a double slot, especially in that motherboard (A8N32-SLI ), or you won't have much room.

If you are going to run SLI, I'd be looking at a 500-550 watt PSU.

17. steve Max

steve Max Private First Class

New egg does not ship to Canada. Here (Canada) I shop online at Ncix and HL technology, both in Vancouver B.C. which is 3000 miles from me and after paying the shipping is still cheaper than local stores. I picked out a few items so you can get a sense of what it costs in Canadian bucks.
    Maxtor 250 gig sata drive
    ocz, dual channel 1 gig
    asus A8N-E motherboard
    AMD 3700+ san diego 1m cache
    BFG 6600g
    915.45 tax and shipping incl.
    As for case and power supply, its up to you hard to pick one for someone else. But fortron 400 watt for $40 and a case for under a 100 depending on what you want. Don't cheap out on a psu, one very overlooked part when building a pc. The other site I mentioned is awesome as well, and both have excellent customer service.

18. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

19. Insomniac

Fortron 400 Watt for $40?

I would never put a cheap power supply in the same room with a quality PC.

That's the worst thing you can do if you value your hardware, especially with PCIXpress.

Number of Watts means nothing if the quality is poor.

20. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

:)
    Seconded:)

21. Insomniac

Hey, you're back. Hope they didn't hurt you in prison. :)

22. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

No not much :)

I used shower jell :)

23. steve Max

maybe you should do some research before you shoot you mouth off. fortron make quality powersupplies and are a main manufacturer for many companies!

24. N5638J

N5638J Guest

that means nothing in the computer world.;)

25. Insomniac

Maybe you should post some models or URL's before you talk rubbish?

You said Fortron for $40. Tell me how that's a quality unit?

(And as N5638J stated, being a manufacturer for other companies means nothing)

26. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

"You said Fortron for $40. Tell me how that's a quality unit?"

That's an extremely weak argument Insomniac... If I told you I had a Sparkle 600W PSU for sale for $150 would that make it quality? Likewise, since Athlon processors are less expensive, that must mean that they are inferior to Intels...

Now, that's not to say anything good or bad about Fortron, because I don't know. I'm guessing that neither do you.

27. Insomniac

How is that a weak argument?

Fortron is not a quality brand here, at least one I've heard of.

Combine that with $40 for 400 or 500 Watt, and there is your argument.

Using the analogy you used to justify it is ridiculous.

If you or anyone else knows of a quality PSU for $40, share it with us, I'm all ears.

28. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

29. steve Max

http://www.fsp-group.com.tw/ I was making constructive suggestions for this fellow to build a computer from a "Canadian" site which he is from Canada, to give him an idea on prices since everyone else was giving him links to new egg which does not ship to canada and if they did it would be much more than we pay here, shipping,exchange rate. etc.
    I have build two computers using fortron ps, not the one I gave him a price for but they have decent amps on the 12v rails, and stable. They are both running strong. The site I buy from Ncix have user reviews on these ps and they also get a very good rating. For the basic computer yes these are great, but of course if your running 4 hd and two vid cards ,sli ya sure you would want a stronger ps. I am only making suggestions (if you read my first post) that is all, suggestions. Instead of bashing mine, come up with somthing constructive to help a fellow member build a rig. end of rant.

30. Insomniac

You thought wrong.

We weren't talking Sparkle or video card or any rebate.

Stick to the exact debate at hand (namely a $40 Fortron for a $1200 premium system) , rather than meandering off.

Analogies, hypotheticals and what ifs aren't exactly the height of logic!

And Steve Max, stop taking things so personally.

I didn't, and don't agree with your choice of power supply, and I'm not the only one.

Get over it, plenty of people have disagreed with things I've posted. That's what a forum is about and the whole idea of asking for opinions.

If you think I didn't add anything constructive, you must have conveniently missed my earlier posts.

31. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

What is so hard to understand? I don't see how a quality 430W power supply @ $30 could be any less relevant. And AMD processors costing less than an Intel, yet having comparable performance are very applicable to this debate. If you can't understand that then there's no point arguing with you anymore.

32. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

In any case, enough hijacking... You might check out www.tigerdirect.ca for some prices. I would still stick with those parts or at least similar ones.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds