Folding@Home running commentary thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by goldfish, Sep 18, 2004.

1. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I just thought I'd make this thread to replace whats going on in the "Official Folding@Home thread" as that is getting ridiculously long, and some info might be useful and some might not (to other readers) and traversing a great big multi-page thread isn't great fun.

Oh yes, I seem to have 2 100 frame Gromacs running on my Athlons at the moment... and I've recruited a new P4 laptop, (Panasoinc toughbook). To make sure that it doesn't drain his battery I've set it up to only crunch when mains power is turned on, so it probably wont be a great producer, but its a little extra boost :)

2. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

MOrning to all,,,waking up after a long exciting nite at the boards, and was thinking how wonderfull it is that we started with 8 foloders on our team, and now we are up to 48 and counting, a few new signup last night,,,will be on the board once they complete a unit and we will have 50 + members FOLDING, Thanks to our news flash about a week ago,,,and now the wonderfull development of the FOLDING webpage at majorgeeks site, we will grow faster then ever, oh how I look forward to the added folders , and the fun that goies on between all of us,,, :)

:) :) :) I wanted to take time to formally thank CP and MA for hosting the site, placing into action to benifit our cause, :) :) :)

Also a BIG thank You to all that have been PMing me for information , and look forward to seeing you on the boards with us, Glenn :)

A for those who will join us in the comming days !!!

3. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

UPDATE 50 + members Folding with stats on the boards !!!!

4. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

man this gromac is taking for ever. its 35+ minutes per frame, usually its around 20-25 for me. oh well. i'll be on the boards late tonight i should be able to see it finish around midnight.

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

left my machine on overnight, hopefully it got some work done.

We are getting to the high 600's now : 644 and our production rate is still significantl'y higher than most of the people around us :)

6. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

I lost the gromac I had thar was taking 50 something minutes a frame when I unplugged the computer by accident, I;m now working on a ONE HOUR AND TEN MINUTES A FRAME GROMAC on the 1600 AMD and a 50 something minute a frame one on the Linux computer so quit your crying :D:D:D

7. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Morning all, :) After turning in my Tiny Tinker, My P4 started a old quiried TINKER that was never completed, and started from scratch,,a tinker from the old days, 400 frames,,went to bed last night late 2am unit said 1 day 2 hrs to complete :) ,,,LOL ok now I woke this morning at 100 of 400 frames, and says 1 day 3 hrs to complete, :rolleyes: ,,ALL I HVE TO SAY ,,,,is that I better pull 200+ pionts from this unit !!! LOL :p , P3 is half way through a gromac 2 days in,,,4 day unit for that machine, and my DAD's laptop will turn in a unit for me today, or through the night, a extra unit here and there wont hurt at all since on on a creeper of a tinker at the moment on my P4 100% processor ;) , Hope eveyone has a great Sunday, if you are in our time zone LOL,,,And see you on the boards, Glenn :)

8. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

um.. glenn if you can see me on the board i am going to stop coming to this board. :cool: sorry glenn i had to make that joke, we all know what you meant. trying to start out with a laugh. :D :D

9. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

LOL NP like to laugh ,,,GK :) :) :)

10. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

11. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

My one hour and 10 minute a frame gromac is now at one hour and fourteen minutes a frame :rolleyes: The linux machine is still around fifty minutes a frame on it's gromac but the other four will be sending units today.
    The last time I checked my stats was last wednesday and I've done 27 since then for about 2150 points

12. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Well all I end this evening on a sour note,,,in the process of changing out my laptop battery,,,2 charge the secound for tomorrow ,,,,so on AC only at the moment g-d sent a bolt of lightning down on our block ,,needless to say my laptop went dead , no battery backup,,,and the 400 frame tinker that was at 386 of 400, that was due to go in to stanford in 30+ min ,,,is now sadly back to 3 of 400,,,,down 2 days of work,,, from a momentary coincidence, the exact time 10 sec of the battery out strike blasts the damn unit out of my PC and starts over ,,knocking head on keyboard,,,, catch up with you all tomorrow,,nighters all,,,pout, Glenn,,,glad I have that gromac going in tomorrow,,,,at least something to look forward to,,,pout again,,Glenn PS going to reset all the blinking clocks and VCR's ,,,WHAT A BUMMER LOL life goes on !!!

13. rmsubasic

rmsubasic XP-38 Spacemodulator

That sucks! Sorry to hear about it. Just to commiserate, I had three different machines all well into their cycles when I lost power due to a flood here in the Pittsburgh area because of the remnants of hurricane Ivan. Lost much folding time due to outage, etc. Tomorrow will be a better day!

14. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Actually could not sleep,,tried to do a system restore to a earlier date,,,no help..figure that that unit was hexed,,2nd time around,,,so i went into the folding- folder in programs and removed all the unit data and history,,,and DLed a NEW unit that should go in tomorrow,,,Glenn,,ps the first time I lost it was from hurricane frances,,somehow the system quired it again,,,and ran it , and a storm took it out again ,,,think there were 3 6's 666 in the molicule # as well...not that im stupidsticious lol or anything lol,,but in this case since it is a 3 day unit,,,dumpped it and got a new unit,,,now maybe i can sleep LOL....nite all, Glenn

PS 10 days no power from frances,,,down alot of folding time here !!!!

15. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

too bad...

my folding contribution has gone down from 3 pc's to 1, which is the AthlonXP 2000+ @ 1,8Ghz cause my router has broken down.

16. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Wellthe SAGA continues, when checking my clocks ard vcrs, I discovered MY P3 in the den ,,,was,,ready now,,its a no brained,,,GONE on reboot started all over:rolleyes: ,,,,,Also was able to get a tiny gromac on the boards form my P4 overnight and now this morning machine is running a 20 frame TINKER,,,bet alot of points for this baby;) ,,sarcasticly said,,,well onward and forward through folding land I GO,,Glenn , Catch ya on the boards later all PS

WE ARE IN THE TOP 500 With 60+ MEMBERS !!! EXCELLENT> DREAMS do come TRUE !!!! :) :) :)

17. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

QUESTION if ya still have a modem,,can you dial up ?? just to get units and send them back,,,a quick idea !! also if no dial up,,untill router is fixed,,what about net zero or some CHEEP dial up for folding only,,like 9 bucks a month for emergency dial up on all systems,, ??? Glenn

18. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

no can't do, would have to buy a modem and our phones are via cable too, so we don't have any telephone connection.
    everything goes through the coax cable, tv, internet, phones...

gotta get a good router this time :)

19. rmsubasic

It looks like it's payback time. Since I've started folding, I've always been getting all these little, tiny WU's and so I have not had to wait long for updates to my score to happen. Suddenly, I am working on 3 BIG tinkers with long finish times. This is very weird. This change seems to have coincided with my change to the Windows console version from the Windows GUI version. Any thoughts anyone?

20. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Stanford was sending out those big TINKERS for along time !!! they within the last month were sending out gromacs, ,,gromacs usually run 5-8 hrs,and in addition some HUGE gromacs that ran a good 24hrs,,,a typical TINKER runs 2-3 days,400 ftrames,,, and I have pulled three in a row also, I have a 20 frame tinker now on my P4 and at a 44min frame rate estimated completion is 12 -14 hours, at first when I saw 20 frames thought I would tear through the unit LOL ,,,,NOT,,,will tell you how long it takes,,,but creeping along at the moment.

Its just a change in what THEY at Stanford need to have processed.

Now for the windows graphical client on the advanced tab at the bottom,,you can select STANDARD, No Preferance or deadlineless....deadlineless,,,will pull A BIG UNIT,,standard will hopefully pull a gromac and no preferance what ever is in order next to process,,,,but keep in mind that the Folding we do is for STANFORD , and they can send out for processing what at the time is important to them in clinical studies,

Hope that helps for a overview of how and why the projects change and how to best TRY to get the unit type YOU wish to run, Glenn

21. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

PS THIS IS FROM STANFORD

Currently running projects timeframe and points for each project !!! keep in mind the calculation for time complete is based on a 700mhz processor, (I believe to be so ) may be wrong,,,but don't think so LOL,,,Glenn

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/psummary.html

22. rmsubasic

Actually, I am OK with whatever they send me, as long as it benefits the project. I chose No Preference, by the way. I admit to some small fascination with watching my score grow too... :cool:

23. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

LOL Yes we all do :p , its wonderfull to see the score travel LOL,,,wait untill you turn in one of those tinkers they are usually 200 points for a 400 framer:cool: ,,,THE RACE IS ON FOR POINTS LOL,,,Glenn:) :) :)

24. smokinbls

smokinbls the title thing is overrated

25. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

THIS is the UNIT I am running off the list at the moment,,,the list is updated every hour,,,so if you start a NEW work unit..within one hour you can tell what POINTS you will recieve in advance ,,,NOW THATS COOL....my discovery of the DAY, Glenn
    p1109_Kiefhaber_284257.00--28.00 points 20 frame TINKERDescription

26. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

LUG, YOUR DGROMAC IS ON THE LIST !!!!!

27. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Just a quick update - we now have over 60 members, 50 of which have over 100 points. THIS IS GREAT!!! :D

We've also broken 600th place ;)

28. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

LOL its in my sig,,,top 500 and 60 +...our news flash is off the front page , but helped to bring many new folders ,,,and the link on the side stilkl will,,,,,,,,,,this is fantastic !!!

29. rmsubasic

How does one generate, or get to see, the cool looking team statistics graphs? Is there any way we could see some of those on a daily or weekly basis? Sure would be nice to see a graphic of our team on its upswing.

30. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Have a look here !!! and bookmark !!! Glenn

http://www.statsman.info/folding2stats/html/12072.html

I lost a week of work,,,POUT

31. rmsubasic

I just checked, and our weekly team point output is 111th place. That's right, there are only 110 teams out there producing points at a faster rate than we are. That means that we're doing great, and climbing fast. But, if we ever REALLY want to make it into the top 100 teams, we'll need to do better. We'll need about a 25% increase in our current weekly production numbers to be climbing at a rate that will be taking us into the top 100. So c'mon, every 4th person needs to add a new machine to the folding frenzy, or recruit another person to help. Just kidding, but let's keep up the good work.

32. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

This is the WU I am running now you can track your unit and find out the points before you finish at this stanford site !!!

p696_L939_K12M_Raleigh 39345.0066.00 points 235.00frames 400unit TINKERDescription

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/psummary.html

wait 1 -2 hrs after you recieve a WU to find it on the list !!!!

looks like it will be a slow mover !!

We have been running simulations for 10 months now for project, in an attempt to fold the largest, most complex, slowest folding target to date. We call it L939 K12M - which means that it is the first 39 residues of the L9 ribosomal protein and that residue 12, formerly a Lysine (K) has been mutated to a Methionine (M). Projects and(more to come soon) complement the previous NTL9 work. Specifically, all of the previous simulations study the behaviour of the wild-type molecule which should be directly comparable to a great deal of experimental information generated in the Raleigh lab at SUNY. One especially, fascinating question that we hope to address: Why does the mutation of one amino acid (K12M) double the folding speed for these molecules?

33. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

damn who did that stats page? that is really good and well organized. i salute who ever did that. (we need a smiley for that).

34. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

someone goldie knows named STATSMAN,,, what the heck I donated 10 bucks,,,it started at 100 needed,,well worth his efforts !!!

35. mutz_nutz_uk

mutz_nutz_uk Private First Class

Cool stats page. Gonna keep that bookmarked!

All I seem to be getting at the moment is stupid little 100 frame Tinkers that take a few hours but drop less than 50 points a time (most are dropping 10-20 points). OK, my units count has gone sky high, but my points count is almost not moving :( I wanna go back to getting 10000 frame Gromacs that took a couple of days, but gave out 250 points + each time. THAT was good to see each time one of them dropped on the server.

Have added the Majorgeeks team details to my sig on 2 of my chatrooms I go to, so will see if that adds a few more boxes to our count. As said before, even if every fourth member can recruit just one more box, we should get the production rate high enough to hit the top 100 teams!! So I am hoping to get a couple of new bodies into the crunching for the team.

36. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Question what version of the software are you running ?,and on what OS Folding at Stanford can be adjusted to select the type of unit for you to DL IE: TINKER OR GROMAC , Glenn

PS thats for the continued promotion on the other boards you frequent !!!

37. mutz_nutz_uk

LOL. Its not on boards, I go to chatrooms to speak to real live people!!! (Yes, I really am that sad lmao)

I got Windows XP SP2, and F@H version 5.02

And how do you determine the packets you get??? I got 3 Gromacs this time around, each one a paltry 125 framer. :mad: Would be nice to ask for the 10000 frame Gromacs again. I liked them on my 2 big boxes. The little 100 frame Tinkers are good for my Athlon 1.0Ghz though, that box seems to do quite well on them. But my 2 big boys (XP2700+ and Celeron 2.5Ghz) like the Gromacs better, especially the BIG gromacs :D

38. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

On the flower in your sys tray right click and go to config..or on the display screen,,right click and go to config , then do this :

On the advanced tab please at the bottom select deadlineless , this prompt will bring you larger work units that take more time = more points, also on the display tab,,place to stick and ball,,,and move the slider full to the right, this makes the folding FASTER !!! , let me know if this helps when you pull your next units , Glenn

PS we are real people too LOL

39. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Morning to all, Well once again we are ready for our next HURRICANE. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: YIKES !!!! hope we have power,,I hate not folding away LOL,,I just turned in a 235 point tinker, and DLed another 235 pointer, hopefully I will be able to run it LOL,,,here is the unit

p695_L939_WT_Nat_444K 39745.0066.00 Point 235.00 400TINKERDescription

Hope all have a great weekend,

@Mgrist, just a FYI note, on the new graphical 5.02 for windows, the batch work was able to be enabled,I was able to click the box,,,was not shadowed out !!, I just noticed when playing with settings, after this next unit completes, I will set to batch and see what I end up with, Glenn:)

40. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

morning glenn, turned in a 100 frame gromac last night to put me over the 1000 point's mark. working on a 400 frame tinker. haha my first tinker!

eric

41. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Congrat's Eric,,,while I was setting up my webcan for the storm ahead, I had to reconfigure folding client,,some funky glitch...working on a equal point tinker.

PS was the tinker from change in settings ??? glenn

42. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

no glenn, i didn't change any settings just pulled it. i'm kinda ify about changing settings, don't want to screw anything up. i'm not all that familair with the client.

eric

43. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Did you follow the tewaks posted for others to get program running faster ???

44. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

i haven't really had time because of school but i was planning on going through that tonight after i get my yard duties taken care of.

eric

45. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

This is the newest WU I have since I had to reconfigure

p694_L939_wt_ext 39725.0037.00 POINT 236.00 FRAME 400 TINKER

PS I BROKE 5000 Points:D with my last tinker at 241 points, going to nibble on Goldies tail soon enough :p LOL,,,all good fun !!!

Finely making up for the last hurricane 10 days no power ,,and the loss of 2 WU due to a local lightning strike,,,and now another storm is on top of us !!! YIKES may loose electric again:rolleyes: ,,,pout !!!

Glenn:)

46. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

congrats on breaking 5000 glenn. (reaches out to shake glenns hand). i'll be there soon enough, just kinda started late in the game. :D

eric

47. mutz_nutz_uk

Come on guys!!! One more place for the top 500!!

Date of last work unit 2004-09-26 03:08:26
    Active CPUs within 50 days 120
    Team Id 12072
    Grand Score 144367.2 (certificate)
    Work Unit Count 1784 (certificate)
    Team Ranking (incl. aggregate) 501 of 33346

48. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

HERE YA GO THE TOP 400 !!!

Team Ranking (incl. aggregate)497 of 33348

GO TEAM !!!!!!

49. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Glenn! We are in the Top 500.... unless 497 is less than 400, we're not in the top 400 ;)

50. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Goldie secound wrong post:rolleyes: LOL NO COFFEE yet and 4 Hrs sleep from the storm,,running on reserves,brian is not computing :confused: LOLOL,LOL,,,sorry all,,,,Glenn:p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds