Blue Screen, Can't boot in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by xjoolee, Oct 15, 2009.

1. xjoolee

xjoolee Private E-2

My dell latitude d420 laptop runs on Windows XP and has been getting a blue screen. I tried booting in safe mode but I just get the blue screen again.

Technical Information:
    *** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x805c49B8, 0xF79A12B4, 0xF79A0FB0)

I only have a reinstallation cd for XP.

I think it's probably spyware because I did get an annoying pop -up window the day before.

I have no idea how to approach this. Please help, I'm desperate.

Thanks,
    Julie

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

have you tried using the last known good configuration start up?

Use the Last Known Good Configuration tool to restore the operation of Windows XP
    If Windows does not start, try to restore operation of Windows XP by using the Last Known Good configuration. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Start the computer, and then press the F8 key when Windows begins to start. The Windows Advanced Options menu appears.
    2. Use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then click OK.
    3. If a start menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then click OK

Windows XP starts your computer by using the registry information that was saved at the last shutdown.

If that doesn't work, try option 2 in this link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

when you get the the c:\windows prompt, type the command chkdsk /p

3. xjoolee

xjoolee Private E-2

I tried the Last Known Good Configuration tool but I still get the blue screen.

I entered the chkdsk /p command and i get

CHKDSK found one or more errors on the volume.

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

if you reboot, then what do you get? if it found errors, then it probably fixed them (if possible) .

5. xjoolee

xjoolee Private E-2

Nope, still get the blue screen when I reboot.

6. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

unless someone else has any other ideas, you might just have to reinstall windows. or try running a repair installation.

but you might want to wait and see if anyone else has any ideas.
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

does the blue screen give you a file associated with the error? should be just below the stop error code.

7. xjoolee

xjoolee Private E-2

There's no file name under the stop error code. If I reinstall windows, will it erase my data?

8. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

if you do a repair install, then no, your files will stay, but if you do a fresh install, then it will overwrite anything on the drive you install to. follow the directions on the link in the post above.

9. xjoolee

xjoolee Private E-2

Okay, I ran the repair install and finally was able to boot into windows. I will probably follow the malware removal guide tonight. Thanks so much for replying so quickly and helping me solve my problem!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds