Motherboard decision

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wheelie182, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Wheelie182

Wheelie182 Private E-2

Hi Guys, newbie, going to overclock my first pc soon, when i buy all the bits, well im building my first pc as well, its kind like a project i suppose, anyway i've being doing a lot of research into trying to understand all the figures and numbers etc and i think i've got enought info to buy all the stuff, and the overclocking, well i almost understand it but i think i'l wait until ive got all the stuff, and then just trial and error.

am i right in thinking that the pc will shutdown if the cpu gets to hot, do i have to turn this feature on at bios?

but my main question is the motherboard, i know that this it is the most important part of overclocking, i was going to go for the

MSI K8N SLi Platinum Socket 939 Motherboard

but i here that dfi's are the best for overclocking, do you suggest i go for a dfi?

2. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

DFI infinity or DFI lanparty... I heard that the Abit Fatal1tyis good too....

3. Wheelie182

Wheelie182 Private E-2

Hi, where im buying from, all the sell are the DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 but they come in different types

sli-dr
    sli-d
    ultra-d

whats do all these terms mean?
    i guess its to do with ram....
    which would you recommend?

4. theven 4

theven 4 Private First Class

well the first two mobos you listed say sli which is a technology that makes the mobo have instead of one slot for the graphic card have two slots. also that technology was created by nvidia so if i'm right you can only put Nvidia graphic cards, but it doesn't matter sice Nvidia is the best.(personal opinion) the other mobo i guess it doesn't have sli. :)

5. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

You have to turn these feature Enable for Protect CPU if it overheat your Computer will be shutdown

DFI NF4 for 939 have 5 categories of Mobo
    Here i just say 3 of them

Ultra D it is not Support for SLI if You can Mod it to SLI (16x and 1x) after mode SLI (16x for one VGA and SLI = 8x+8x)

SLI D Like Ultra D but it supported Dual Vga already (SLI)

SLI DR beside supporting Dual Vga (SLI), it have Front pannels for sound, USB, 1394 ... Diagnostic LED Connector and more options :)

6. theven 4

Quote of A.Son
    Ultra D it is not Support for SLI if You can Mod it to SLI (16x and 1x) after mode SLI (16x for one VGA and SLI = 8x+8x)

for sli they are going to make both graphic cards 16x (16x+16x)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  7. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

8. theven 4

9. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

So SLIX16 and SLI is differrent.

Have you run at SLIX16?
    is it faster?
    So I think I have to upgrade my mobo. (16x16)
    Nob question :
    Would you show me some brand name of mobo run at SLIX16?
    Is there any soft which can check if it is run at SLIX16 (16x16) or SLI (8x8)?
    Thanks

DFI SLI-D info
    http://www.mittoni.com.au/dfi-lanparty-ut-nf4-slid-motherboard-p-1866.html

10. Wheelie182

Wheelie182 Private E-2

Hi, im not interested in having two graphics cards, but i will be overclocking, so shall i just go for the ultra d, do the sli-dr and sli-d have any better properties to do with overclocking than the ultra-d

11. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

They are the same in OC
    as I said, but SLI-DR have more option and raid support 8 sata
    You can Visit DFI for more info

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/produ...PE0B=LP+UT&CATEGORY_NAME0B=Socket+939&SITE=NA

12. theven 4

LOL i only have a p4 3.0 ghz ht with a GeForce 5900 se so i don't really know if it does run faster. but for the mobos you can check this page. (http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build.html) but you have to check the mobos yourself to see if it is slix16. just check the pci-e to see if there are two slots with 16x. you should see that there's something like this: Two x16, one x2 and six x1 PCI Express links. the only part that matters is the two x16. ;)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds