My computer randomly beeps at me.

Discussion in 'Software' started by kmssd, Nov 19, 2009.

1. kmssd

kmssd Private E-2

Just using my computer normally every now and again it just beeps once at me for like 2 seconds. I don't know what it is from cause at one point I had my speakers unplugged. Nothing is accompanied with this beep, no message, warning or anything.
    What is it from, and what does it mean?

If this is in the real area, please move it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It isn't a beep code because those sound before windows is booted up.
    Go into the control panel and click on Sounds and Multimedia.
    You will see the sound events and what they indicate.
    Go through the list and stop at everyone that uses a beep until you isolate the items that cause the beep.

You can replace sounds with (None) by highlighting the event and then pressing the arrow and scrolling up until you see the word none. Click apply and the sound gets removed.

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Does this happen as soon as you turn the computer on, or when windows in loading, or after it has loaded?

4. kmssd

kmssd Private E-2

@plodr, on my computer I only seen "Sounds and Audio Devices" under my control panel (Win Xp).

@collinsl, it happens after windows is loaded. One time it happened was when internet explorer was running.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Sounds and Audio Devices is it. Click on it then the Sounds tab and follow what I posted above.

6. kmssd

kmssd Private E-2

None of those sounds were it, but somehow it beeped before with my speakers unplugged.

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

What is the make and model of the computer?

At this stage, I am suspecting a shorting motherboard speaker, which is a little buzzer/beeper that is used to signal if the computer has started correctly.

Do you hear any kind of beep when the computer starts up?

8. kmssd

kmssd Private E-2

Acer Aspire 5100-3583 running WinXP. I don't think my computer beeps when starting (unless I don't notice, will check next at next startup).

9. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Is the computer a laptop?

If so, it probably will not beep on startup. This also invalidates the shorted beeper idea.

Just on a side note, how did you get the speakers unplugged if it is a laptop?

10. kmssd

kmssd Private E-2

Lapptop yes. My onboard soundcard died, so I bought a usb soundcard and instead of buying big clumsy speakers, I opened my laptop and cut the speaker plug off (where it connected to the motherboard) and soldered it to a 3.5mm stereo jack to plug into my external soundcard.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds