Adding programs back into Windows Registry?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Eolorw, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Eolorw

Eolorw Private E-2

Hello All! Newbee to the site. I asked a question somewhere else and there where multiple recommendations to check out Major Geeks forums.. So. Here I am!!

My question was and still is...

Is there a tool that we can use to put program information back into our Windows Registry? I run Windows XP on my old gaming computer and Windows 7 Ult on my new gaming computer.

Here is my delima. I set up my Windows 7 computer with my primary OS and typical operating programs and game controllers, etc on an SSD C:\ drive and put all of my games and download folders and other transitional programs on to 2 SATA 6 2TB drives D:\ and E:\. With 4.0GHZ and 8 gigs of ram it rocked!

About a week ago I got hit with that colormedia.dll rootkit which took over my computer program by program, including my game clients (Origin, Uplay, STEAM, etc) which where all installed on the C:\ SSD drive.

Every tool I found, including "Unhack.me" failed to stop, block, quarantine, and remove this rootkit. I finally gave up. Wiped the drive and reinstalled all of my OS and programs clean and fresh. Then I hit that nasty registry wall. Most of my games will not launch because the computer can not see where they are.

I have seen tools specific to the program, or game, that installs the program or game's information to the registry from the program or game's folder. The icon looks like a txt icon with blocks on it and when you click it you get a question "Do you want to add this information to your registry?"

Does ANYONE here know where I can get this tool or the tool that generates these tools?

If I can get it or even find a way to make these registry add tools I could save a lot of wear and tear on my computer by just putting one in each program folder and clicking it until they are all back in my registry again.

Thank you all for your time and consideration! My avatar represents my present condition. Totally Frazzled!! LOL

OH!!! Also!!
    P.S. Major Attitude! I am not sure what happened or how but I got a message after reading your welcome letter saying that I had disabled private messages????? How did I do that and how do I UNDO it?

ThanX!

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

When you reinstall software the registry is automatically updated. There is no need to take any further action. The fact that this has not happened in your case suggests that when you wiped the drive you may have failed to wipe the MBR and track 0, so the rootkit is still there. So exactly what method did you use to wipe the drive?

3. Eolorw

Eolorw Private E-2

Hello Earthling,

Thank you for responding so fast. I didn't even get to log off.

I did a full wipe of the drive using Seagate tools. It was fully blanked. I reformated it and started fresh to make sure that I had gotten totally rid of the rootkey bug it got so it wouldn't come right back.

I understand that programs are automatically added to the registry when they are installed. That is what I am trying to avoid having to do because many of them are installed, activated (CD-Key registered), and updated and reinstalling them can in some cases result in more problems than the time is worth. I was even accused of software piracy by one game producer when I contacted them to reactivate a game I had just reinstalled. They where very rude and abusive until I emailed them pictures of my game's retail box, game disks, and the user manual with the CD-Key on it to prove I was legally licensed to hold and play the game. I finally did get an official appology out of them over it and they even gave me a new CD-Key to use to reactivate the game because of some issue they had at their end with the original key.

I am looking to avoid this considering there are well over 150 games on the computer which is why they are on seperate drives.

If I can find the tool I am looking for or find out how to create these "AddXXX.reg" tools I can make up a basic tool format and then put copies of it into every game, then edit each one for that particular game then just double click it and say "Yes"...

Hope this helps clears up any confusion..
    Thanks again.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Thanks for explaining but in all the years I have been on geeky forums like this one I have not come across any solution to your question other than to reinstall the software in question. I can only wish you good luck.

5. Eolorw

Eolorw Private E-2

Hello again Earthling..

Thanks for the response again. And yes.. I am in the same boat with that information. That is also why I came here. The hope is that someone has, at sometime between the creation of the Windows Registry and now, come up with a way to do this without risking blowing up the registry by putting information in the wrong location.

I am pretty sure the basic program information needs to be placed under software under the local machine column but there are other items that I have found in the registry when uninstalling certain programs that have been a bit of a supprise that the information they included actually had to be there. Things like certain display resolution settings and where to find given files so they can be run during the program's launch, etc..

Most.. And I say that risking more confusion.. Most of my games are high enough end games that some of them have these strangely registry dependant files too. It is because of this strange need that I really am hoping there is a tool out there somewhere that can do the work for me. I really hate to have to start from scratch and then have to go back through and run all the updates to get them back up to the level and versions they where at when the rootkit crashed the OS etc.

I am presently working with a registry add tool that one of my really unique games had in it that did the job for that game to find out if editing the basic information changing the original game installation location and such to the next game on my list will make it work. I figure I can try it out on some of the smaller games that take up less than a gig of hard drive and then just remove the details the same way if it does not work. Considering some of my games are as large as 20 or even more gigs you can imagine just how much I am hoping for a working tool..

As my hopes continue... If ANYONE out there has seen, tripped over, or found/created such a tool... PLEEZ lemme know!!??

Have a great week and a safe weekend all!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds