multimedia audio controller- no driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by X-Z3R0, Jul 31, 2007.

1. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

I just reinstalled XP but i dont seem to get any sound. i looked in device manager and found that a Multimedia audio controller doesent have a driver. idont know where to get one. Does anyone know how to get a driveer or what driver to get for it?

Thanks
    Nick

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

We need a little more info than that. Run System Information
    (Click Start>All Programs> Accessories>System Tools>System Info)
    and post back with the make, model, processor type, and sound device
    (First 3 will be in the summary, sound device is in components)
    If you have a PC that came with software installation discs, check to see if you have anything with an audio player, sometimes the sound driver is on them.

3. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

not sure if this is right so ill give u all the details.

SYSTEM SUMMARY

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name X-Z3R0SCOMPUTER
    System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
    System Model Dimension 4600
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2394 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A03, 7/21/2003
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory D:\WINDOWS
    System Directory D:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    User Name X-Z3R0SCOMPUTER\X-Z3R0
    Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 256.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 31.61 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 730.90 MB
    Page File D:\pagefile.sys

SOUND DEVICE

Name Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
    Manufacturer Microsoft
    Status OK
    PNP Device ID MODEMWAVE\0\{6552895E-989D-46BF-B461-056BDE3E6FB3}
    Driver d:\windows\system32\drivers\modemcsa.sys (5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148), 15.75 KB (16,128 bytes), 7/30/2007 2:54 PM)

4. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

also if you need my chipset (that could be involved so i read)

Intel(R) 82801EB ICH5 AC97. i think thats it. its the audio hardware driver or whatever.

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Ok, that'll work. And the chipset does help. I was just taking off for a bit, but will be back soon with an answer, i hope.
    Question for you: Was there a ? in front of your audio device when you looked in Device Manager?

6. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

yes there was =) and ill be waiting anxiously for you to come back. its kind of awkward playing games without sound :D

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

8. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

its the r ight driver for sure. i installed it. but when im adding driver to device...3 quarters through it asks for a disk..a disk i dont have...it asks for the file ALCXWDM.SYS on a Realtek AC97 Audio Driver Disk. :|i have 2 dell driver disks. ill try those but i doubt itll be on them. ill post back with results.

9. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

If you have the Dell operating system disc it should have the ALCXWDM.SYS on it and the Dell resource disc should have have the driver you need. Doh, I asked about discs and forgot about the Dell ones and I have a Dell too.:eek:

10. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

i do i was about to try that now =)

11. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

its not on there.. ihave a copy of a disk and i have my original dell disk..tryed em both..nothing on em

12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Is there audio drivers on that disc?

13. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

i found it on sys32 but theres a problem. when i get to the last file it loads. pc reboots. ive tryed 3 times and it reboots

14. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Try going to Dell.com and then clicking on support at the top of the page. That will take you to another page, click drivers and downloads. The next page has three options , pick your model, enter tag , and the other isn't important. Choose the tag option, then you can enter yours (tells you how to find it) or let them find it. See if Dell has what you need. Maybe it is a fluke with that driver coming from HP. It is not 'sposed to be PC specific.

15. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

If you find your tag, post it back here and I will look at dell, too.

16. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

Tag # : F797m31

17. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

i looked it up. i think i did it worng i searched in audio and only got 4 results. none of what i need. i saw this analog one and i saw that driver for my computer when i was searching around with my chipset.

18. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Ok now, I'm confused. Do you have CCleaner? Check the uninstall list and tell me if you have a Sound Audiogy listed there or go to your control panel and check the list in add or remove programs.

19. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

20. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

unimodem is the dialup modem i have in the computer. we used to have dialup

21. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

realtek is in there now but it has a ! over it cuz all the drivers arent oncuz the pc restarts on the last driver. its when spybot detects a reg chnage. so im gona disable all my AV equipped stuff and retry

22. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Good, AV does inter fer with some driver installs.

23. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

STILL shutsdown. is there no hope?

24. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Did you uninstall the old driver first? then install the new?
    If that doesn't help out you will have to post another thread explaining what's going on. This is getting beyond me.

25. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

err ill run that now and no i didnt install. but i DID find a BIOS update on the dell site :D what if i downloaded drivers from realtek.com?

26. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You can do that, I got lost looking at realtek before I left and forgot to get back thererolleyes Sorry.

27. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

28. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

29. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

i cant connect to either of the links' servers :| i think its the stupid firewall. give me a sec to get rid of it its done me no good. ill post back in a bit

30. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

31. gweny1962

gweny1962 Private E-2

I downloaded sp2 and now i have no sound says no adio detected, was working fine before i did windows updates, i have tried everything nothing is working I have a yellow exclamation point by crystal sound fusion(tm) audio device, my mobo is pc chips m863g, chipset sis 741gx, please help this is very irritating?(~_~) thanks in advance

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  32. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

i got the package. all the drivers installed on the os. when i went to put the drivers on the device. shutdown. device was uninstalled, security turned off. ima try the dell thing now IE works

33. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

@gweny1962,
    Please start another thread with your prob. That helps from getting things confused, if there are other things to deal with as there is in this thread.

34. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I tried that Dell checkup and it caught two things on my PC, I needed an MS update and it said I had my resolution set wrong (has to be for the crappy monitor I use right now) so maybe it will find out the missing drivers and the file that you mentioned.

35. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

36. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

i have everest and im downloading PCWizard. used to have ..lost disk. it always did me well =) i highly doubt im overheating. its NEVER been an issue in the 6 years ive had this baby. excusme my ignorance but what's a PSU? =)

37. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

cant find my processor temp. hard drive is over heating. shes usually at 30 and right now shes at 40 :|!

38. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Are you using the PCWizard ? Sometimes the temps are reversed for the mobo and processor. Does it have the mainboard temp? If you do have Everest, check your temps there and compare them.
    Have you had a shut down problem before?
    Did you try that Dell checkup?

39. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

no i havent IE isnt loading. BUT i just installed analog drivers from dell...i saw in pc wizard that analog drivers are with the AC97. SO i installed and im about to reboot. ill get back to you on it.

40. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

OH MY GOSH IT WORKED! NEVER IN MY LIFE HAVE I BEEN SO HAPPY TO HAVE HEARD WINDOWS LOGIN SOUNDS! Thank you so much musksnipe! you were here for me almost 24/7 and explained it thorougly and helped so MUCH! thank you for your time and devotion to me and my problem =)

41. dukeofsc

dukeofsc Private E-2

You sound like you know what you're doing and I need help. I even need help on how to post a message (thread). dukeofsc or duke@dukeofsc.com
    I thank you or any help in advance

42. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

:D I'm glad you got it going. And your welcome....wasn't sure if we were going the right direction.rolleyes

43. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

hehehe I figured we were. the first time we went on dell i saw analog in audio im like why do i think i need that so i brushed it off. guess i should take more longshots =)

44. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

@Z3RO Yours was the hardest I've helped with and should have been easy being I have a Dell and the same drivers. rolleyes
    All you have to do is go to the forums support page and scroll down to the right forum...click on it and there is a "Start New Thread button" in the upper left.

45. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

you hlped lots and i learned a thing or 2 from what you said =)

46. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

:penjoy your games....with SOUND!

47. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

huzzah! so i have a after question here. so were we installing the wrong drivers the whole time? cuz i looked and NONE of the realtek drivers are on there..well a few but those are ordinary sound ones. its soundMAX card. whys this?

48. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

confused This is the onboard audio chipset you posted...
    It should and does take the Realtek driver.
    I went back and looked at the info you posted and can't find anything about that card and it should have showed either in the device manager or the sys info you posted. Possibly once the Realtek driver started working it enabled the sound card.

49. X-Z3R0

X-Z3R0 Private E-2

that is the model. i checked again. but it isnt realtek. i dunno :|

50. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Got me, Dude. I just recently started helping with sound probs because there were a lot and few were following all the way through. Actually, I am learning with every one I help. You were the 5th and each prob was different. So, actually I am getting more confused each time because it is not always JUST a driver install. Those analog drivers may be what your mobo needed to kick in the card.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds