Windows XP - Validation

Discussion in 'Software' started by tannertornadoes, May 24, 2007.

1. tannertornadoes

tannertornadoes Private E-2

I have Windows XP installed on my laptop PC. I tried to install the necessary updates but it says that my copy of Windows cannot be validated as it appears to be a pirated copy. I bought this computer from Dell and had loaned it to a friend for several months. He says he did not put anything on it. Now what to do?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. tannertornadoes

Go to activate Windows where?

4. tannertornadoes

Okay found my product codes using the program you gave the link for. I have two codes showing up. One for XP home and One for XP Pro. Now what?

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Restore the Dell software. Thats about it. You can try reactivating it with the DELL key you have and see if it makes a difference.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Dell only gives one. You wont have product keys for both unless its pirated. Does your XP CD say Memorex on it? ;)

Seriously though, it would appear the two keys show that he DID install something on there, most likely pirated Pro.

What did your computer ship with, and what version do you have now?

7. tannertornadoes

I tried the activation thing from the previous post and it says my copy is already activated. No it doesn't say Memorex......it says sony :) I still have my disks from Dell, but I am trying to keep from losing data because my system is full of course work from seminary.

8. tannertornadoes

It shipped with Windows XP - Home. That is what disk I have for it.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What version is it now? Right click on my computer and choose properties.

10. tannertornadoes

Microsoft Windows XP - Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Some friend--go kick his butt!

You will need to backup your data and do a fresh installation of XP Home to fix this.

12. tannertornadoes

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Best to write down that Home key, just in case.

14. tannertornadoes

Okay. Is there a thread on here about how to "crash" a system and bring it back up after I backup my data?

15. tannertornadoes

Also, the version of Home I have is with Service Pack 1. Will that make a difference?

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds