Laptop failed to boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by uselbi, Feb 12, 2007.

1. uselbi

uselbi Private E-2

I have a Toshiba Satellite P4 laptop with XP in it. A couple of days ago I changed the battery because the old battery was dead and every thing was working find, but now when I try to boot up I get this message: “ a disk read error occurred. Press ctrl+alt+del to restart” I’ve gone into the setup and it’s set to boot from the hard drive (#1). I can not get into the safe mode it just keep going back the message. Need some help…Jimconfused

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Perhaps your hard drive expired just after the battery?
    Is it recognised in setup?

Studio T

3. uselbi

uselbi Private E-2

studiot,
    Yes, setup sees the Hard Drive. Jim

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You have a corrupt boot sector.
    Boot from a winxp cd (set boot from cd first in bios), I'm not sure if the Toshiba recovery disk contains the recovery console, some OEMs don't.
    Don't forget to hit a key when requested or the system will go on and try to boot from HDD
    At the first choice choose recovery console (press R)
    enter the administrator password at prompt
    execute 'fixboot' command at the prompt
    Restart the computer.

Studio T

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  5. uselbi

uselbi Private E-2

Studiot,

I decided to start over with a new HD, but thanks for all your help...Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds