Sensible Voltage's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burrell, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

i have

AMD athlon 620 quad stock 2.6ghz
    Asus M4A78-E

i managed to get it to 3.2 Ghz just by pushing the fsb to 250mhz

I was just wondering, what would the safe range voltage wise be for me, stock is 1.4v what would be the maximum that i can play with. Would i be safe raising it to 1.5v?

Am i correct in that the only real way to harm components is through voltages?

As i have good cooling this shouldnt be an issue?

Burrell

2. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Id stick to 1.5v or under for 24/7 use unless your really wanting to push it. There's no need to get selfish with a quad unless your going for benchmarks. ;) Generally temps and voltage are the two biggest killers.

3. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

i got it to 3.38 Ghz at 260FSB stable oc with the voltage at 1.4750

Load temps around 49 celcius.

This seems like a good 24/7 oc to keep, do you think i should push it a bit more?

4. ACE 256

Sounds good to me. Might want to tweak it a bit though. You can go either way. Either see if you can get more speed at 1.475v (maybe stretch for 1.5v max) or slowly lowering the voltage to find the min v at 3.38Ghz.

5. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

i managed to get to 3.4Ghz stable, whenever i try to push it higher i always get a bsod upon start up, or it will just freeze, this is with a 1.5v, why does it bsod?

Burrell

Attached Files:

6. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

I got the FSB to 280, but that was with the multiplier at x12 instead of 13, this is stable!

Does this mean that something else is stopping my overclock being stable at x13?

Burrell

7. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Sorry for posing again in succession but,

I just reached 3.65Ghz! sorry, i know you guys probably don't care but i'm excited!

I lowered the RAM speed, which i guess what was stopping me before.

I'm going to stop there, i don't want to risk damage to cpu.

Idle - 28
    Load - 44

Burrell

Attached Files:

8. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Let's see if it's stable there now, see if you get errors when folding like unstable_machine or nan's detected. Good show on the temps.:)

9. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

been folding for 8 hours, no bsod's.

This means that it is stable now?

Should i use this for a 24/7 oc?

Burrell

10. ACE 256

Don't forget to run a stability tester. Folding is good for catching instability due to heat and some ram errors. But you could be putting out currupted work units.

11. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

sorry if i sound a bit stupid, but what is a stability tester?

Burrell

12. ACE 256

It is a program that stress tests hardware and looks for errors. Try Prime95, Memtest, and/or S&M. I prefer S&M myself it seems to be more through. Run one or more of them for at least an hour (most prefer 24 hours to guarantee complete stability) but only run one at a time.

13. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

I ran memtest and prime95, no errors to be seen.

Burrell

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds