STOP error BSOD during Safe Mode boot??

Discussion in 'Software' started by mjnc, May 17, 2011.

1. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I am receiving a STOP error when attempting to boot in Safe Mode: :eek

Page_Fault_In_NonPaged_Area
    STOP:0x00000050, 0xF77811C, 0x00000000, 0xF77811C, 0x00000000

Boots fine for normal startup.
    Googled STOP:0x00000050 0xF77811C and found Nothing

Corrective measures so far:
    • Reinstalled Original Audio driver which had been updated by Slim Drivers
      -
    • Reset Custom pagefile setting to System Managed located on separate partition on drive #2
      -
    • Ran a boot time disk check on C: (system partition) and on K: pagefile partition

The error message says, in part:
    Windows XP Home SP3, 1.5 GB RAM, Avast! version 6.0.1125, PC Tools Firewall version 7.0.0.111, Malwarebytes Antimalware PRO

Several months ago I installed a new ASUS Nvidia 8400GS Silent graphics card and a Corsair
    1GB RAM chip.

Temperature readings from Speccy and CPUID HWMonitor look normal.

I am going to run a series of malware scans.

Can someone help me with this???
    Never had a problem with Safe Mode before and no previous STOP errors.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hardware looks most likely if you can't get into Safe Mode. Use 1 RAM chip at a time, see if you get the same results.

Make sure you have minidumps enabled and a pagefile on the System drive. You could then zip and upload the dumps for analysis.

Try this MSFT search or this one with Google.

3. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

STILL receiving a STOP error when attempting to boot in Safe Mode.
    Makes no difference which of the three options I try.

Since my first post, I have done the following scans:
    • Malwarebytes Antimalware - FULL scan: no threats
    • SuperAntispyware - Quick scan: no threats
    • Trend Micro Housecall online: no threats
    • F-Secure online scan: no threats

Then tried Safe Mode boot AFTER EACH of the following:
    • moved pagefile from drive #2 partition to C: system partition.
    • tried Each Ram chip separately in slot #1
    • removed Nvidia display driver version 270.61 and reboot
    • installed Nvidia display driver 266.58 previously installed
    • removed Asus 8400GS graphics card and connected onboard graphics
    • disconnected combo-drive #1 and connected combo-drive #2 as master
    • did a boot from CD in combo-drive #2 to check proper functioning

I do have MiniDumps enabled, but not getting any dumps recorded.

Every time I got the same error with some differences in the second number:
    Page_Fault_In_NonPaged_Area
    STOP:0x00000050, 0xF77811C, 0x00000000, 0xF77811C, 0x00000000
    STOP:0x00000050, 0xF7B5D1C, 0x00000000, 0xF7B5D1C, 0x00000000
    STOP:0x00000050, 0xF79DD1C, 0x00000000, 0xF79DD1C, 0x00000000

The Safe Boot gets as far as loading C:\Windows\system32\drivers\agpcpq.sys

I found a couple of forum discussions about this type of error where a normal boot or
    Safe Mode boot Hangs when the agpcpq.sys filename is displayed.

XP locks up when loading AGPCPQ.SYS
    technet.microsoft : XP startup crashing on agpcpq.sys

One solution was to run CHKDSK /r from the Recovery Console.
    I ran CHKDSK /p from the Recovery Console which said there were some errors so I ran CHKDSK /R
    which took over an hour. Another CHKDSK /p showed No Errors.

Another solution is to disable the agpcpq.sys service.
    That solution is modified from this Microsoft Support article:
    Problems when Windows XP tries to load the Agp440.sys service
    That doesn't sound too great to me - No Graphics Driver?? rolleyes
    Some people reported trying all solutions with No Success.

I don't know where to go from here??? :banghead
    If anyone has any knowledge of this or a workable solution, I'd appreciate some help.
    I DO NOT have a Windows XP install CD, only a recovery partition which will return the computer
    to it's original state with unwanted installed software that's very difficult to remove fully,
    like America Online and McAfee Antivirus.

I do have some Easeus Todo backup images as early as May 06, 2011.
    Don't know if that's better or worse since I had a lot of difficulty getting the video working
    again after reassembling everything and I've fixed errors on C: partition with CHKDSK.
    Can't use my DVI cable now because the resolution won't reset to native 1280 x 1024 except
    with the analog cable. Spent about two hours fiddling with that CxxP.
    Been up all night working on this mess. :( :mad :tired

Any suggestions??
    Thanks!!

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Hey, mjnc.

First thoughts that come to mind (these are all separate procedures - check results after each one):

1. Reload chipset drivers.

2. Disable all 3rd-party video drivers/software and use generic Windows video (wasn't clear if you'd tried this, so disregard if you have). In fact, you might try uninstalling the ASUS card and enabling onboard (if you've got it) for troubleshooting.

3. Go back into Virtual Memory management, move the pagefile to %systemroot% (I just saw that satrow suggested this, but didn't know if you'd tried it).

4. And, just for s&g, reset all BIOS settings to safe default - might even pull the battery for a while.

5. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Hi Caliban.
    Thanks so much for your reply.

I have already tried #2 and #3 but still had the same problem.
    I have reinstalled the ASUS card and moved the pagefile Back to drive #2.
    May remove the ASUS and go back to onboard video just to eliminate that as a possible problem.
    Guess I'll move the pagefile to %systemroot% again to be sure.

Don't know how to reload the chipset drivers?

Have never changed any of the BIOS settings, as that is beyond my knowledge.
    As for the battery, I'll look into getting a replacement.

I'm now wondering if there may be serious problems with Both of the hard drives.

When I run CHKDSK /P in the Recovery Console, it reports errors, but then I immediately run it again
    and it does Not report errors.
    Then I reboot normally and then reboot again into the Recovery Console and repeat the process.
    The same thing occurs.

When I run CHKDSK /P in the Recovery Console for drive L: backup partition and drive M: data partition,
    it reports that the volume appears to have one or more unrecoverable errors.
    Drive #2 is only a few months old and both are similar Hitachi drives.

The GUI version of CHKDSK run through the Properties -> Tools dialog for a boot time check
    does Not report any errors?? :confused

So now I'm wondering if I need to replace the system hard drive or both? :(

Piriform Speccy shows the S.M.A.R.T. status as Good for both drives? :confused
    I may order a replacement, Western Digital ?, HD for the system drive just in case.
    I need an IDE (PATA) for this system, not SATA.
    Any suggestions are welcome.

6. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

If you want to test the hard drives, the only sure way to test them is to use the manufacturer's diagnostic utility. For WD hard drives, WD Digital Lifeguard Tools (they have a bootable version and also a version you can install within Windows, I'd suggest using the bootable version). Run the short test AND the long test to determine if there's issues. I can't recall if Hitachi has a bootable diagnostic tool or if they only have a tool for within Windows.

To reinstall chipset drivers, within Windows, go into the Device Manager and right click - uninstall drivers for your graphics card, then reboot and let Windows Update find default drivers for your card OR install them from the manufacturer's website (the latter is usually preferred, but in your situation, the MSFT drivers might be better off... who knows).

7. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Thanks.
    I'll look for a Hitachi diagnostic.

I thought Caliban was referring to some motherboard drivers or something.

As far as the Graphics driver is concerned, I know how to handle that and I always download from the Nvidia web site.
    Been down that road a number of times. ;)
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=1624214&postcount=4

8. Caliban

Here ya go: IBM Hitachi DFT.

Sure was - never hurts, might help. Sometimes a chipset reload can work wonders. If you can supply your motherboard make and model #, I'll help you with finding a good link if you need it.

9. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

The drivers for your motherboard are uninstalled in the same fashion, and usually a quick Google search can find the correct and up to date driver set for your motherboard.

10. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Thanks fellas.
    I appreciate the help and input, REALLY!! ;)

I found the Hitachi diagnostic tool and PDF info document at the Hitachi web site HERE last night.
    I have already downloaded the ISO file, burned to a CD and ran the test Twice on both hard drives.
    Test was OK - no errors. :cool

@satrow and Caliban
    I misunderstood your suggestion to put the PageFile in %systemroot% and instead put in
    the %systemdrive% root, which is the same as %homedrive% root.
    Maybe that is what you meant, as there is no way to specify a Folder Location for the pagefile in the Virtual Memory dialog.
    You can only specify the drive.

I would like to follow up with the Chipset drivers, but I think I may have tracked down the cause
    as being a Graphics Driver issue and the AGPCPQ.SYS service.
    There is a way to Disable/Enable that service through the Recovery Console.

I am going to make a Registry Backup, System Restore Point and a new Partition Image backup
    and the Disable that service temporarily to see if I can enter Safe Mode and Uninstall the graphics driver.

Then I will Enable the service again and reinstall the Nvidia 266.58 driver, since it was
    the 270.61 driver that had initially Failed to install properly.

I found Three MsiInstaller ERRORS in the Event Viewer -> Application listing for Nvidia PhysX
    which is part of the default installation for the graphics driver.

This occured on April 21, 2011.
    That portion of the driver install is an Option which can be Omitted through the Custom install choice.
    Omitting that portion is how I finally got version 270.61 to install.

I have made and tested a new UBCD4Win boot CD just in case.

I'll let you know how this goes.
    THANKS!!! :wave

Attached Files:

11. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Posts in a couple of other forums suggest Disabling the agpCPQ.sys service to resolve the Failed
    boot issues. The agpCPQ.sys service is the last one displayed during the Safe Mode boot process,
    so it Appears as though the system "hangs" at that point.

The following Microsoft Support article was given to support that theory:
    Problems when Windows XP tries to load the Agp440.sys service

The procedure uses the Recovery Console.

I followed a methodical process of combining the service ON and OFF with the graphics driver installed
    and uninstalled with the ASUS card installed and again with the graphics card removed, using the onboard
    graphics.

Safe Mode boot Failed in every case. :banghead :(

Since I have ERUNT configured to make daily backups of the Registry and I also make manual backups
    with ERUNT before certain procedures, I decided to try Restoring some of those to find a point
    where Safe Mode would work again.

Eventually, I found the Last registry backup that would enable Safe Mode.
    That last good registry backup was made on May 08, 2011 at 04:08 am.
    The next backup was made on May 09, 2011 at 02:13 am, which, when restored, caused Safe Mode to Fail.

Using Windows search to find files and folders MODIFIED during that time span, and those that were
    CREATED during that time, provided detail to nail down the possible cause.

It became clear that Easeus Todo Backup 2.5 had been installed just thirty minutes After the last
    good registry backup. Nothing else was installed during that twenty-two hour period.

Also, the Easeus Todo Backup installer was downloaded just eight minutes before the actual install.

I used Revo Uninstaller to remove Todo Backup 2.5 which found Five Registry entries leftover after
    the normal uninstall.
    Then a Normal Reboot to finish the process.

Then I did a reboot to enter Safe Mode.
    BANG!!! There it was. :celebrate

Problem solved. :clap :clap :-D

During the Easeus uninstaller process, it asked to provide Feedback about why it was being removed.
    I included some detail about how I suspected that ToDo Backup 2.5 was causing the Safe Mode boot failure.

Since they say a picture is worth a Thousand words, here are some screen shots.

I need some rest - started working on this three days ago. :tired

Attached Files:

12. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm impressed with your tenacity--good work! :)

13. theefool

theefool Geekified

Wow, nice! I'm quite impressed with the awesome troubleshooting skills there. Not many use them. rolleyes

14. Caliban

Good job, mjnc - if I ever run into the agpCPQ.sys service issue again, I'll know who to contact. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds