Dual Boot Vista/XP Vista preinstall no DVD available

Discussion in 'Software' started by marvelljones, Jun 8, 2008.

1. marvelljones

marvelljones Private E-2

Ok, here goes. I searched the 'Net, these forums and a few other places but found nothing that pertains to what I want to attempt. I am thinking about adding Windows XP Home to an empty partition on my hard drive. I have the license for it and the OEM CD for XP. I have Windows Vista Home Premium preinstalled on my HP a6110n and I do not have a Vista DVD available to me. I am thinking of pulling the SATA drive out of my computer, putting an older IDE drive in it, and installing XP (and all the necessary drivers) to it. Then I am going to change the jumper on the IDE drive to slave, reinstall the SATA drive, boot Vista, and copy the entire IDE drive onto the empty partition. Then I am going to use EasyBCD to edit the Vista Bootloader to add XP to the boot menu. I don't want to keep both drives in, it causes heat/noise problems after a while, I just want to run off the SATA drive. Any thoughts on whether this will work or not? Advice before I attempt this?

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Most likely xp will fail to load. Windows ain't smart enough to recognize itself. Yup. That dumb. If the drive letter is changed, it refuses to load.

If you must install xp along vista, you need to install xp 1st and vista later.

BTW, if you're using vista 32, don't bother. I'm using it. All my xp programs work perfect. Except for drivers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds