Zone Alarm Incompatible Wtf

Discussion in 'Software' started by Goldenskull, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Way is Zone Alarm Saying its Incompatible with Windows Xp 64bit

2. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> WTF this is such bull they will not Support 64Bit XP But they will support 64 bit windows 7 and Vista WTF the F is this kinda bull crap i never heard of such BS Goldenskull <<

I know exactly how you feel here... Goldenskull ~:(~ Unfortunately, I have actually heard of this before, though...

I can clearly remember (quite a while ago, now) back when Windows XP first was released in mid to late 2001 - and shortly afterwards; some - and then numerous software developers' software products would no longer support the Windows 2000 (or especially the older Windows 98/95) operating systems anymore. This was especially true as well; shortly after Windows 7 was released in 2009; mostly because they said that "Windows 7 was a completely different OS" (or so they claimed, at least). After that many shareware developers would not even LIST Windows 2000/98/95 on their websites. Unfortunately, with Windows 8 coming out pretty soon; I believe that many software applications (especially shareware products) will soon start dropping support for Windows XP compatible versions of their products, as well.

Good Luck -- COMP

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Its a matter of resources, why support a os that had a very small user base, most computers that were 64 bit capable came in the vista days, and now seven. Many more pcs are 64 bit compatible these days hence the support in vista/seven. Also xp is pretty much dead at this point, i see many programs dropping support for it as time goes on, it was released in 2001. According to the wiki on xp, the 64 bit version has the following info
    This edition was discontinued in early 2005, after Hewlett Packard, the last distributor of Itanium-based workstations, stopped selling Itanium systems marketed as 'workstations'.[33] As of July 2005, Windows XP 64-Bit Edition is no longer supported, and no further security updates were made available.

5. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

ZoneAlarm was a great firewall during its first few years.

When they started bundling it with undesirable 3rd-party software I threw it out. Now that Windows has its own free firewall, why would anybody still want ZoneAlarm?

6. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> ZoneAlarm was a great firewall during its first few years. When they started bundling it with undesirable 3rd-party software I threw it out. Now that Windows has its own free firewall, why would anybody still want ZoneAlarm? pwillener <<

I totally agree w/pwillener... Currently, I believe the freebie version of ZoneAlarm is definitely one of the most overrated firewall products available on the web. It always confounds me; that so many of the major (PC related) online magazines and download websites currently let this company get a 'free pass' with high praise and pat-on-the-back reviews; when this Zone Labs company has clearly lowered their standards from yesteryear, at least in my opinion. All of the Zone Labs products are fast-becoming the latest "usta-be-first-rate-but-now-forget-about-it" has-been software programs; but especially the Zone Alarm freeware version which started out as a simple and easy-to-use firewall; but has now been blown-up into an incredibly bloated CPU and memory hog.

In fairness, the ZA free version does provide some limited internet filtering protection (I mean, having it is certainly better than running no firewall, at all) but that's about it. Also, as pwillener mentioned earlier, the latest ZA installation .exe installer includes: a toolbar, changes your homepage, default search engine and/or other third party programs are also contained within it - that is, if users are not careful during the installation process (btw... kudos to MajorGeeks for warning potential downloaders about this in 'bright red' lettering in the ZoneAlarm Free listing 'Limitations' and 'Editor's Note' sections)

Way back when, several years ago I used Zone Alarm free; and even decided to upgrade it to their Pro version. That is until one of their latest updates/upgrades was so totally bloated, and it caused tons of problems. I consequently received precious little relief from the Zone Labs forum; so I in the end I decided to ditch it altogether. I actually don't miss Zone Alarm at all. And I certainly do not miss the gazillion pop-ups allowing and disallowing web access. I currently use the Norton Suite 2012 which includes a top-notch and far more 'pre-emptive' firewall. It also helped me decide to download and install it; when I found out that the Norton Suite 2012 was provided free-of-charge when I had switched my ISP.

Good Luck -- COMP

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds