Internet pages take 1-59 minutes to load!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Petite_Blonde, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Petite_Blonde

Petite_Blonde Private E-2

I initially thought I had a malware/spyware/virus problem but I have done all scans as per the READ ME FIRST in the Malware forum. Each program has come back clean. ALTHOUGH...

Because of the slow internet I am unable to update anything because I get kicked off it takes so long to try to upload/download.

I also read somewhere on here to try something other then IE7. I have tried to download Google Chrome and FireFox with no success. Both take forever and then it freezes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3
    Dell Dimension DIM 3000 Intel (R)
    Celeron (R) CPU 2.66 GHZ
    2.66GHz, 512 MB of RAM

:wine

2. Vikingman4456

Vikingman4456 Private First Class

Ok we need a little more to go on here. What kind of internet connection do you have? Are you on wireless? Once those are answerd we will know a little more and will probably be able to give better advice.

3. Petite_Blonde

That computer is on a wireless router. The router is inside the tower not a USB type. My brother had installed all of that for me. It is an Airlink101.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. Petite_Blonde

This is the router ontop of my good PC
    Wireless 300N Gigabit Router
    Model #AR690W

This is the adapter inside my slow PC
    150N Wireless PCI Adapter
    Model # AWLH6070

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  6. plodr

I will look through the manuals.
    Just glancing quickly, I see the PCI card you have says
    And for the wireless router you have, the AWLH6090 Wireless 300N PCI Adapter is recommended.

7. Petite_Blonde

I'm confused...I don't understand your quote or your response.

Just guessing here...Are you telling me the computer store I bought this from has given me incorrect information and sold me incorrect hardware?

8. plodr

First, did you connect by ethernet to your computer to set up the router? You need to do this before you go wireless.
    192.168.1.1 is the address of your router. You'd type this in to set it up. admin for the user and admin for the password is the default - which should be changed when you configure it.

Now, is your router connected to a cable modem or a dsl modem? If dsl, what is the brand and model because dsl modems have a firewall and so does a router. Cable modems don't have firewalls.

9. Petite_Blonde

I didn't put all this together my brother did. I am not able to ask him how he went about it. I know nothing about any of this stuff which is why I had someone else do it.

I have no idea what the difference between DSL and cable is.

I have zonealarm as a firewall....not exactly sure what you are asking as far as the firewall goes. Previous to zonealarm I had a windows default firewall I believe it was.

I have no idea what else you want me to do and how I am supposed to do it, I am sorry...total noobie here

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

My route to try and find a cause of this would take me to doing a few different things as in.

1. Connect your PC to the router with a cat5e cable (network cable, you should have one in the pack that the router/modem came in) and see if that speeds up your connection over using wireless.

2. Disable or even uninstall ZoneAlarm, reason is friend of mine had similar issue to yours and I found the cause to be ZoneAlarm, once removed the internet or browsers loaded very quickly, so changed the firewall to PCtools (free). BUT only change to a different Firewall if the cause of your issue was your previous one.

11. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I had Zone Alarm on my 32bit machine at one time and it slowed the whole thing down considerably.

12. plodr

Do you pay a phone company or a cable company for your internet access?

13. Petite_Blonde

I thank you all for responding and apologize for the delayed response. I pay through a cable company.

I disconnected the wireless and did what Halo suggested and used a network cable. I really hope this "fixes" the problem.

Thanks again everyone. Much appreciated

14. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Petite Blonde

Please do let us know if using the cat5e cable works as then we can set about working out whats up with the wifi connection?

So to pre-empt some thoughts, as you have latest SP3 for XP then great thats you upto date with windows, next would be to check if your wifi card and router have updates to drivers/firmware you have now and test again on wifi.

AWLH6070 http://www.airlink101.com/download/awlh6070.php
    AR690W http://www.airlink101.com/download/ar690w.php

Do also test with Zonealarm disabled or better still uninstalled as I said friend of mine had no emd of wifi issues and in the end we traced it to zomealarm, once uninstalled all was well, thus we installed PCTools.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds