tsnp2std.exe

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dumb_Question, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

Recently I have noticed the process tsnp2std.exe taking up about 10 - 20 % of my CPU, consistently.

I have read that this process is associated with camera software: I do occasionally plug in a USB digital camera to my PC and there is a USB webcam permanently attached, but not often on/capturing pictures. I have also read that some malware disguises itself as this process. I use AVG free edition 2011, both in real time and as a scanner.

I have found three copies of this program using explorer>search on my HD,
    in C:\WINDOWS, C:\Program Files\Common Files\snp2std and as TSNP2STD.EXE-047DB94.pf in C:WINDOWS\Prefetch

In the light of this information, what should I do ? Just put up with CPU overhead ?

Dumb_Question
    14.November.2011

Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A - MSI MS-6577 - XP/SP3

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

No you don't have to put up with CPU usage from unneeded startup programs. Look in your startup items and remove the software from starting up when you boot windows. Chances are the digital camera is checking for updates to the software and checking to see if it is attached to the computer. There may even be a setting in the Camera software that allows you to uncheck/untick run at startup.

3. Dumb_Question

Thanks, I'm working on this...

Dumb_Question

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Strange, second post I see on this tsnp2std.exe today, the other poster had some %15 CPU use. Do you also have a webcam?

5. Dumb_Question

I mentioned tsnp2std.exe in another post of mine. The CPU usage figure of this program varies between 0 and 25%, along with variations in other programs that the task manager shows, the main ones being WD Smartware, IExplorer and sys idle process. AVG sometimes is there if it's running an update, scan, or checking a site I guess. Others I don't notice because they seem work satisfactorily and I don't have time to check them because I am too busy using them.

I have decided to try to cut CPU usage (even though I am not sure that is a problem) and hence am trying to determine which programs to cut and what method to use

Dumb_Question
    17.November.2011

6. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Sys idle process is how much free CPU you have left, not used in other words. I run at %100 CPU load so my sys idle is usually %0 to %5.

Try this first of course, like I said. You can't screw this up as these are not mandatory programs and you flagged them as big CPU hogs. Start there man and then we move on. I have nothing more to give or say.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds