External Hard Disk problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boon, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Boon

Boon Private E-2

Hi.. Im having problem with my External Hard Disk. When i plug in to my computer i cant open Computer management OR My Computer (even if i can i cant see my ext HD) but when i unplug my Ext HD Computer management opens and My computer and etc...

Any Idea what is the problem or how can i solve this without losing my file inside?

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

A little more info would be helpful in the diagnosis. i.e. the specs of your computer, OS, the external drive.

3. Boon

Boon Private E-2

External Hard DIsk

Can anyone help me? I cant view my drive from my computer.

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Re: External Hard DIsk

If you could give us a little more info, we'd be glad to help.
    What make/model is your computer
    What is your OS (XP - Vista etc.) ?

Is this HDD USB?
    Does it have an external power source or just a USB connection.
    Is it connected directly to your computer or is it connected through a hub?
    Does your computer have USB 2 or USB 1 or both?

5. Boon

Boon Private E-2

Dell Optiplex 330, Windows XP SP2, HDD samsung and connect directly to the computer USB 2.0 port.

Acually i was copying my friends backup file cuz he had a virus in it and he needed my hdd so while he was copying half way there was a pop up says that "Windows delayed write fail" or sumthing. then when i unplug and plug it back in on any other pc it can detect but i cant view my drive in My Computer.

Is it caused by the virus?

Thanks for ur reply.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  6. Boon

Boon Private E-2

Dell Optiplex 330, Windows XP SP2, HDD samsung and connect directly to the computer USB 2.0 port.

Acually i was copying my friends backup file cuz he had a virus in it and he needed my hdd so while he was copying half way there was a pop up says that "Windows delayed write fail" or sumthing. then when i unplug and plug it back in on any other pc it can detect but i cant view my drive in my computer.

Is it caused by the virus?

Thanks for ur reply.

7. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Let me start by saying that I am not qualified to help you if this is a virus or malware problem. My experience with these "nasties" is quite limited.

It is essential that you give us as much background information as possible if we are to help you.

Do I have it right that:
    This HHD has worked properly before on your computer.
    You used it to backup files on another (virus infected) computer. (It would be helpful to know what virus and how certain you are that this other computer has/had a virus)
    During the backup, your friend's computer gave a "Windows delayed write fail" error.
    You recovered from this error and finished the backup (?)
    Now your computer fails to detect the HHD but your friend's computer still detects the HDD.

For your information, a "Windows delayed write fail" error can mean that Windows was in the process of writing a file onto the HHD and was stopped from completing. This sometimes happens when a HDD is disconnected (or quits working) while Windows is in the middle of writing a file.
    If the error comes up frequently during the process of moving files, your HDD controller may be misconfigured.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174

Please look this over and tell us if I have everything correct so far.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

9. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Two threads - same problem - merged.

One thread per problem please :)

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Also the external drive was probably formatted FAT32. Most are so that they will work out of the box in windows, OS whatever, and linux. FAT32 has a 4 GB size limit on file size. If you were trying to copy/move a file that was larger than this, that would cause the crash.

11. Boon

Boon Private E-2

Thanks for the link u gave me, but it didnt help to solve my problem. Because when i connect my HDD the "Computer management" wont open and also if i right click any HDD it will freeze until i plug the HDD. Thats why i couldnt do anything.

12. Boon

Boon Private E-2

I still cant manage to fix my HDD with the site u gave me. Is there any other soultion to these?

I would really appreciate it if u can help me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds