2 startup options

Discussion in 'Software' started by thedagem, Apr 12, 2007.

1. thedagem

thedagem Private First Class

I done screwed up somethin. when I restart my computer I have 2 options to boot from. Windows XP Professional, and Windows XP Professional. The top one works fine. The second one does not work at all. I know there is a way to delete this second option once windows is completely started up. I just forget how. Can someone help? System restore is not going to work. It's been like this for a long time, I just didn't really care about it much until now. It just slows the boot time down and is kind of a pain in the but. Know you guys can help. Thanks.
    Thedagem

2. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

Right-click "My Computer" and choose "properties". Then choose the "advanced" tab, then click settings under "startup and recovery". Next to the line that reads "To edit the startup options file manually, click edit" there's an "edit" button. Click that & your boot.ini file will open up. A single boot system should read similar to this:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

Compare yours to this. If you're not sure which line you should delete, try simply adding a letter or number within the "Microsoft Windows XP Professional". Reboot & see if the extra letter pops up in the working line or the non-working line. Then you'll know which to delete for sure.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds