chkdsk and system restore won't run

Discussion in 'Software' started by babyfine, Jan 29, 2013.

1. babyfine

babyfine Private E-2

Hi, I'm hoping I can get some assistance. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on an ASUS laptop. My antivirus is Comodo Internet Security Suite, I also regularly maintain my system with the following as needed/warranted: Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Comodo System Utilities or Glary Utilities. My system is well maintained and also clean of infection. I use Comodo Ice Dragon and Comodo Dragon as my primary and secondary browsers. I do not visit questionable websites.

Recently I received an error at startup for chkdsk that it couldn't run as a result of a recent software installation. I have tried to complete a chkdsk by various methods as a result:

I have tried at the command prompt--told me that I couldn't as the disk was in use, would I like to schedule at startup? "Yes" I then restarted and got the same error. (Yes, I ran as admin.) NOTE: I had to access the command prompt through run: cmd rather than the menu icon under accessories. See below for further info on why.)

I tried the "fix errors" method (right click, properties way).

I have tried after a clean boot.

I have queried and discovered I have a dirty bit.

I have tried a system restore, but it also won't run as it says I have to check my disk for errors.

I have removed my antivirus and tried the above steps again.

I used the Glary Utilities interface to run chkdsk but it does not allow to /f or /r and did not help.

I ran sfc /scannow and at about the halfway verifcation mark the window disappeared and closed without prompting.

NOTE: I have also discovered the following: when I attempt to right click to run the command prompt from the programs menu that windows explorer will hang/crash. If I open My computer, and select C:, it will never finish loading the contents for me..Weird and glitchy.

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

3. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Maybe if you can get to a Command Prompt from the Recovery Console, you could run chkdsk from there.

How to Boot to the System Recovery Options in Windows 7

Use chkdsk /? to see a list of options (parameters) and use the one to repair errors.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds