Help: i think someone is using/stealing my IP??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShadyBlackCoupe, Oct 25, 2005.

1. ShadyBlackCoupe

ShadyBlackCoupe Private E-2

Ok here is the problem I have
    I use rapidshare to download quite a few files, its a site where your friend can upload a file then link you to it and you can download it for free. There is only a certain amount you can download in an hour after that amount you have to wait an hour before you can resume any more downloads.
    The thing is whenever I now try to use rapidshare it says I have exceeded the hourly limit, or my IP is downloading a file.

In my house I have a wireless network set up with two friends, we are with NTL.
    Now my two friends havent even heard of rapidshare let alone used it, they use programs such as emule, aries, and azureus, so I have confirmed that they are not using rapidshare.

Now this brings me to a couple of things that could be happening,
    1.Is someone from possibly a next door neighbouring house using my wireless internet connection?
    2.has someone possibly using my IP? (i dont know this is even possible)

Also if anyone can tell me how to set up some sort of key/password so only selected computers can connect to my wireless network, that would be great...(we have 2 desktop pcs, 2 laptops (all running windows xp) and a mac)

Greatly appreciate any help with my current situation.

2. ShadyBlackCoupe

hey thanx for that
    im not quite sure what proxy is or if im using one but il look into it..

3. ShadyBlackCoupe

just to let you know that the problem is fixed now, i can download again off rapidshare
    thanks for your help Kaula!

now you wouldnt know how to set some sort of password for my wireless network so only me and my 2 housemates can use our network

4. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

5. RickM

RickM Private First Class

Your wireless router should have intstructions on how to setup WEP and setup your own SSID. That is pretty secure, I mean someone who really knows what they are doing may get in, but it is highly unlikely. You can also NAT. I may have posted a setup in here some time ago. I will see if I can put something together for a standard safe wireless network.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds