How to format hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by claptrap, Feb 4, 2007.

1. claptrap

claptrap Private First Class

This is a bit of a newbie question, but I have forgotten how to format IDE drive. :eek: Can anybody still remember how to format HDD to a FAT32 from a floppy? (I do have the original setup disk) As far as I know, I cannot use my Win98SE CD to do that, as it did come with a setup floppy - or at least I don't know how.

Or would it be better to format the drive to NTFS, will my old 98 installation disk work? In that case, how do I format to NTFS (using command line and floppy of course)? If 98 takes NTFS, a link to tutorial how to create a dual dual boot to 98 and XP? confused (I have some games that won't work in XP - my XP doesn't have the legacy "thingy", my friend must have given me a pirate copy.)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

No help on Pirated things here at MG:p

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Go to - http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm, for a free download of all system boots, Best for you , I would say 98se.
    Download, and save , unwrap to A FORMATTED floppy DISK.
    When you put the disk in, wait until itstops, at the A: prompt , type Format c: with a space between format and C.Windows 98 will not like NFTS, I always feel it best to format in Fat 32, from floppy. If using XP, you can opt for the more secure NFTS.
    I always forget the exact wording, and colon, etc; but if you type help at the A: prompt, you should get the exact wording there.

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I agree , no help for pirated stuff.
    It is only about £50 for a legitimate XP, NOW.
    It is not worth the hassle of trying to use pirated versions, you will not get proper updates, and probably be hacked to death on-line.
    If setting up Legitmate Xp, it should go on the second partition, as it will work better, with Fat 32, on the first partition, and NFTS, ON XP.

5. claptrap

Oh, I've never done two different formats (FAT32, NTFS) on same drive, how do you do that?:eek:

I have done something like this in the past, but I think something is missing/incorrect:
    1. Boot with setup floppy in
    2. Choose CD-ROM support
    3. A:\> format C: /s (this is where I get confused, I also think it should be A:\ sys C: U)
    4. Put Installation CD in
    5. A:\ H (drive letter) setup
    6. H:\> setup

And somewhere in my notes I have 1. A:\ dir H: 2. H: setup :eek::(

And in all that I cannot remember where the logical partitions come in this, or what size you would need for Win98 or XP to run happily, if only essential programs/drivers etc were installed in OS drive?confused

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

98 = about 2 to 6 gb
    XP = about 8 to 200 gb.
    1/ 2/3/ O.K
    You are more , or, less there, Format C:/s, to make it a good reinstall of 98.
    5, and 6 should be C(drive letter), 2nd Partition would be D.

7. claptrap

Thanks for that, I feel a bit better. But what about number 4, is that where I go wrong? Should I use the A: dir notes at this point? At which point does the Fdisk and partitioning play part? I need prefer to split the drive because my 98 doesn't like big partitions much and anyway I like to organise my files...

It's just that formatting a hard drive is not something one does every week, especially as my pc has always been pretty stable. But there comes time when the HDD gives up the ghost and a new one is in order

8. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Partitioning comes before anything. You have say a 40gb HD. You would use Fdisk to create a 5GB partition and then a 35GB partition. The bootdisk you use for Fdisk should also have format command. You would then format the 5gb partition in FAT32 (the disc won't give you an option of NTFS. Then install 98 on the formatted 5gb drive.
    A valid XP CD can then be inserted and it will ask you what partition to install on. Choose the 35GB and it will offer to do a full NTFS format, say yes.

FDISK runs something like:

Do you want large drive support? Answer yes
    1-5 options.
    You have to delete existing partitions first. THIS DESTROYS ALL DATA AND OS on you drive. You will only have the floppy commands to run until you install a new OS. Don't know the number but you just select each partition and delete.
    I think 2 is Create a new partition or logical drive. Choose 2
    Not sure exactly how it goes. You want to create a primary partition, 5gb. Then a second primary partition 35GB.
    Esc key moves you back through the menus.

Your syntax is a little off on a couple of commands.

1. Boot with setup floppy in
    2. Choose CD-ROM support
    3. A:\> format C: /s (this is where I get , I also think it should be A:\ sys C: U) A:\ format C: should suffice you don't really need to copy the system files.
    4. Put Installation CD in
    5. A:\ H (drive letter) setup A:\ C: then C:\ H:\setup
    6. H:\> setup Already done

And somewhere in my notes I have 1. A:\ dir H: 2. H: setup This just gives you a listing of files on the disc and then runs setup. You need a backslash between : and setup. Probably just a note to make sure you had a setup program on the disc.

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sachs2 has given you the fdisk details to set up your partitions, and clarified the rest, so no point in my duplicating it. Unfortunately I never use fdisk, as I partition with Hyperos, and fdisk interferes with my partitioning, so I am pleased that Sachs2 has jumped in there, and completed you questions -
    If you still have a problem, I am sure we,or others will try to solve it.

10. claptrap

Thanks sach2 that looks much more familiar. But I still have problem of remembering how do get to the FDISK - is it on the bootdisk, or something? This is really embarrassing..

11. sach2

Try here: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Get a 98 bootdisk and also scroll down to bottom of page and get Fdisk.
    When you make the bootdisk also unzip Fdisk and add it to the 98 disk. Check to make sure Fdisk runs from the the 98 bootdisk it sounds like it should be a compatible version.

12. claptrap

Ah right, I had a feeling it should be in the same floppy. Shall I just run the Fdisk to wipe out any data and format the drives? When I boot from the floppy, will I get that option before the start-up one?

Looks like the downloadable Fdisk might get rid of the problem I have with Norton Utilities v.2000: it keeps complaining about a problem with my partition but it cannot "fix" it. I asked my friend who said my partitions were fine. Usually I keep Windows partition just large enough to install drivers and programs which insist on being in the same drive as OS (like some old games that insist being on C drive - and usually in the root)

13. sach2

A windows boot disk just loads up enough MSDOS to run whatever commands are on the disc. When you boot from the floppy you will be taken to an A:\ prompt. The only commands available are the ones on the floppy. Format is usually included Fdisk is not usually included. You boot from the floppy run Fdisk (which you manually added to the disc) delete the old partitions and create new ones. Then you format the partitions. Then you install the Operating systems.

I'm not familiar with Norton utilities but if it has a partition manager and you can run it off a CD then you can delete the partitions and format using that. It's really up to you. You can also find the model number of your HD go to the manufacturer's site and download their utility disc. It should be bootable and have commands to prepare your HD for an OS install. This will basically remove all previous partition information and start fresh. You would use it to create new partitions. I'm pretty sure they have format commands, as well. If they do remember 98=FAT32, XP=NTFS. If not use the 98 boot disc to format as previously discussed.

14. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

For Partitioning/Formatting this HDD with two different file systems it would be much easier to use a free utility from the HDD Manufacture
    These Utilities are Free & available in both bootable CD & Floppy, download/boot to the utility select HDD setup, then Advanced mode, the rest is simple just follow the prompts

Dual Boot 98 & XP
    Each OS needs it's own Partition
    An OS needs to be installed on a Primary Partition
    A HDD can have up to 4 Primary Partitions
    Windows 98 needs to be installed on the First Partition & installed First, Before XP
    Then XP can be installed on any remaining partition

When Dual Booting or Multi Booting alway load the oldest OS first, in the case where 98 is used it must also be Installed on the first Partition or you'll probably have problems:major

15. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

16. claptrap

Thanks for that Asus, I'll keep that in mind. :) One day I hope to have big enough HDD I can install Linux, and XP as well. It is high time I learned Linux: Ms is bound to stop XP support shortly if Vista uptake is not going well, in a bid to force people to upgrade...

17. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds