How do I check my BIOS on my computer? HELP!

Discussion in 'Software' started by avilajulian, Aug 14, 2008.

1. avilajulian

avilajulian Private E-2

How do I check my BIOS and disable my on-board sound.

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I didn't know where else to put it.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Most BIOSes can be accessed by pressing a key right when the PC is first powered on. This key can be just about anything, but the most common are: Del, F1, F2, F10, Esc
    Just repeatedly press one or more of those and the BIOS will eventually come up. Many systems will display what this key is right on the first screen. It will say something like "Press <Del> for setup" or maybe "[F2] for system CMOS" or possibly "F1=BIOS". If you can't get it to work, post the make/model of the PC or motherboard and we'll find out exactly what it is. Dell uses F2 most of the time; newer HP/Compaq also use F2, but sometimes use F1, and older HP/Compaq can use F10 or Del. Some Toshibas use Esc or F1. Once in the BIOS, go to "Integrated Peripherals" and find the sound setting and change it to "disabled".
    I hope this helps!

[dlb]

3. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Can,t just go to device manager and disable it? Guess you are installing a sound card. Works for on board graphics when installing a graphics card. If you uninstall it windows will give you the found new hardware at reboot, if it is disabled it is still there, just not functioning for Windows.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds