Formatting partitioned space as FAT32

Discussion in 'Software' started by mdowns, Apr 14, 2005.

1. mdowns

mdowns Private First Class

Hey Geeks! :)

I just reinstalled Windows XP Home onto an 80 gig HD. I installed XP on 15 gigs of NTFS, and partitioned 50 gigs behind that. I left 15 gigs of unpartioned space at the end of the drive for a future istallation of SuSE 9.1 Pro.

My problem is this: I want to format those 50 gigs in the middle as FAT32. I want to do this because SuSE can read and write to FAT32, but it can only read NTFS. However, in XP, when I right-click on the 50 gig partition and choose format, I am only given the option of NTFS as a file system. Is there any way to partition that drive as FAT32 without having to download a program like Partition Magic?

Thanks for your help.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

so you have
    C: 15G
    D:50G
    E:15G
    right?

if so, just use a 98 boot disk and format D:

3. mdowns

Wow, Kodo, that was a fast reply! :)

Where does one get a 98 boot disk?

4. mdowns

Never mind the "where" question, Kodo. After posting that, I thought, duh, Google it! So, I googled it and downloaded a boot98SE.exe file. Now, if I transfer that to a CD or floppy, I just restart the computer with that in the drive, right? I would assume that the directions after that should be pretty self explanitory?

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

yep, boot with the floppy or cd , etc.. and type format followed by the drive letter.

6. General Disarray

General Disarray Private E-2

Not exactly. You run the executable and it will create the boot disk. Other then that, you're good to go.

7. mdowns

Hey guys. Thanks for the help.

So, I ran the program and made a boot disk. But, the setup was a little confusing and I ended up screwing something up and had to reinstall XP (not a big deal since I had just done that a day or two before).

Any tips on what I should do when I run the boot disk?

Thanks

8. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Why do you want to run the boot disc?

You can set your Bios to boot from CD, reboot with the XP CD and follow the prompts.

You will have a choice of which file system NTFS or FAT32 you want to use for every partition created.

9. mdowns

Yeah, but it wants to install windows onto the partition once you format the partition, right? (At least, that's what it seems to be like when I run the XP CD). I don't want to install Windows on that partition...just format it FAT32.

10. mdowns

Using the boot floppy, I typed in "format D:" at the A:> prompt. But, I got an error message saying that I couldn't format the drive. D: is my unformatted drive, so I don't see what the problem is.

Any ideas?

I've tried a couple demo versions of partition software, but nothing lets me format a drive using the demo version. Are there any demo versions of partition software that will let me format a drive?

11. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

The problem is that in DOS a drive letter is reserved for your CD drive and the others get bumped down. (one reason why using the XP CD is much easier)

It then installs a Virtual Device Driver so your CD ROM is functional.

I don't fully understand what you are doing or is happening on your machine, but you have a choice which partition to install Windows on if any, it doesn't automatically install on the one you have formatted.

Read the instructions carefully and look at the bottom of the screen for hints.

Beyond that I can't offer any more without having the computer here in front of me.

12. mdowns

Hey Insomniac. Thanks for your reply. I tried using "format E:" as a command using the boot disk, but I got an error saying "invalid drive specification." I tried F: and G: as well and got the same error.

I'm curious as to how I can use the XP CD to format my drives. How can I do this? This is what I see: the only options I see when I boot with the CD are "install windows XP," "repair Windows XP," and "exit without installing XP." When I installed XP the first time, I am given a choice as to which files system to use. But, as soon as it's done formatting, then XP is installed on the drive. (Like I said, I don't want to install XP again, just format). When I choose repair, I get a C: prompt, and when I type "format D:" I am not give a choice as to which file system to use...it just starts formatting (I am assuming) NTFS.

How can I use the CD?

Thanks for your help. :)

13. dirtyoldm

dirtyoldm Private E-2

The problem is a Bill Gates F-U.
    XP will not format (or allow you to format) a partition bigger than 32 GB as FAT32.

You'll have to use a boot floppy to format the 50 GB partition BEFORE installing XP.
    Use FDISK to delete the existing partition, then replace it.
    You might need to delete all partitions and start over.

Also XP works fine on FAT32 and you'll have a lot less trouble fixing problems.

14. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

How so?

NTFS offers recoverability ( journaling ) and cluster re-mapping ( mimimise bad sectors ) where as FAT32 doesnt, you crash on Fat32 and you run a greater risk of loosing data over a crash on NTFS.

15. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

If this partition is just empty space, i.e., you did not make it a logical dos partition, then you need to do this before it is seen with a drive letter. THEN try to format it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds