AGP stopped working

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tater, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Tater

Tater Tot

Hi guys,

I searched the forum and didn't find anything relatable so here goes...
    I am posting in the software forum because I don't know yet if this is a hardware or software issue.

I have an Asus P4P 800 SE mobo, xp Pro, and and a ATI 9800 A.I.W. card. All was working fine and all the sudden the P.C. won't boot. I I'm on now using a an old PCI card but I have also tried:
    Reseating the card
    Using a known working AGP card, still no boot
    Blowing any dust out of the system
    Checked Asus site and googled® it issue

Does anyone have a guess on what could cause this?

2. Joker_Joe

Joker_Joe Private E-2

erm why not try and take the whole system apart and rebuild it, you may have connected something wrong or it may be short-circuting. I have had this problem before the little case screws can fit and where and short circuit th system.

3. Tater

Tater Tot

Thanks Joe,

It is not a new build and it worked for a year and half without any hardware/wiring changes. One important thing I forgot to mention though. My HDD has been dying a slow death for about 2 months now. It still works, but has many bad sectors that can't be recovered. I've ordered a new one and should recieve it today but is it possible a driver or something got corrupt that would affect only the AGP slot? I will be installing XP from scratch if that HDD arrives today.

4. Sailor

Sailor First Sergeant

So I believe you figured out the problem yourself. When your HD is breathing its last, difficulties on booting are common. One alternative possibillity (I wish I am wrong) is some serious malware infection. Wait for the new disk and see how it goes.

5. Tater

Tater Tot

Thanks Sailor,

It's not really a booting problem, it is only the AGP slot that seems affected. Has anyone seen a mobo fail losing only that one slot? Or do you think the lack of the AGP slot is due to bad HDD data? I know reinstalled Windows and new HDD tonight or tomorrow will eliminate the corrupt data possibility but if not any other ideas? Bios update?

6. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I hate to say it, but it could be the AGP is dying or dead :( The HD and AGP slot don't have anything to do with each other; the 2 problems are not related. You mentioned that you tried a known good AGP card and still no dice so the AGP is slot is probably DOA. If your mobo is still under warranty try to get it replaced.... this can result in up to 8 weeks of down time which sucks. Try the ATI card in another PC if possible to make sure it's still good and consider ordering a new mobo... GOOD LUCK!

hopperdave2000 :)

7. Tater

Tater Tot

Thanks dave,

I think unfortunately you are right. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds