AMD R9 290 memory issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by 2-Bit-Geek, Nov 19, 2014.

1. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

So just to start of with this could be a hardware error, the reason I'm posting it here is that Windows is throwing up error messages... so logic.

I noticed it a while back (I know I should have jumped on it right away :-o), I would be playing Battlefield 4 & suddenly an error that I can either hear or it tabs me out of the game to look at. It reads allong the lines of "computer low on memory try close programs" then suggests BF4 as the culprit. The error (other than annoying) isn't so much the issue (when it doesn't tab me out of the game) it's the crash 5 or so minutes later.

The info:
    CPU: Intel i7 4790K (stock)
    RAM: Corsair Vengence Pro Red 1600MHz (stock) 4x4GB
    Mobo: ASUS Maximus VII Hero
    Boot Drive: Samsung 840 256GB Basic SSD
    Storage Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB
    GPU/s: AMD (MSI) R9 290 4GB Twin Frozer IV X2 in Crossfire.
    GPU Driver: 14.4, 14.9 & 14.11.1 Beta (all tested, all same)
    Other: I use Mantle in supported games inc BF4

This issue started happening after I started overclocking the 1st GPU (before I had a 2nd), I got the 2nd so I would still have a GPU when I sent it off to RMA (not gotton around to that yet).

So the newer GPU (exactly the same brand etc) doesn't suffer this issue, played a week on both to be sure.

Google didn't bring me much joy other than this , which doesn't seem relevant.

It's also fair to say this has been happening in Assassins Creed: Unity & Far Cry 4 also (aside from the dog egg performance :-D).

Any idea's, suggestions? Any more info needed? Event viewer errors you guys can decipher?

I don't wanna have to RMA, as MSI have a checkered history form what I've seen :confused

Thanks for looking,

:major2-BIT-GEEK:major

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Did you overclock the 2nd?

Personally, I prefer factory overclocked cards. That way, I can blame the manufacturer if an error comes up.

3. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

I didn't as I intended to rma the 1st I got & use the 2nd error free (hopefully) until it came back. They are factory "overclocked", but that's not really a thing IMO, 947MHz OC to 1007MHz isn't really what I would call worth while lol

4. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

I grabbed a screenshot of the elusive error, this time with Assassins Creed Unity:

[​IMG]

Any light that can be shead on this issue would be great, even help troubleshooting it.

:major2-BIT-GEEK:major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds