User desktop icon affecting another user

Discussion in 'Software' started by dommi132, Nov 21, 2014.

1. dommi132

dommi132 Private E-2

I have windows 7 and I have been having a problem on both of our user accounts. If I were to delete a shortcut from my desktop, it would also leave my mothers desktop. I have found that it happens no matter who is deleting the icon, the other person is affected.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Greetings and welcome to majorgeeks!

There are two places that icons reside on one desktop.

There is:

c:\users\name1\desktop (one place)
    c:\users\name2\desktop (one place)
    c:\users\public\desktop (both places)

More than likely the shortcut you deleted was from c:\users\public\desktop.

To find out where it is located, simply:

Right click on the shortcut, select properties.
    Click the general tab, and note the location of the shortcut.

Attached Files:

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

So, if you know that both of you want to delete a shortcut, then delete it. If you want to keep a shortcut that is available to both sides, then copy it and paste it. It will copy from c:\users\public\desktop to c:\users\name1\desktop.

4. dommi132

dommi132 Private E-2

so does that mean I have to do this for each icon that I want to keep on my side but not the other account? Is there a setting for when new shortcuts are made from software so that I don't have to keep going from account to account?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds