Kernel32.dll (do Not Try This!!!!)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jagdpanzer, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Jagdpanzer

Jagdpanzer Private First Class

I took advantage of the residual WINDOWS/SYSTEM folder on her old unused HDD (the slave one) to check out some of the .DLL files I had always wondered about. Viewing KERNEL32.DLL with WordPad (not a good idea for you to do, and I claim no responsibility for your imbecility), I noticed that many of the strings of text are, no joke, error messages. Just a thought. Kind of funny, a file dedicated to errors and problems on the operating system (Win98). Again, don't EVEN try to do it. Unless you have an extra Hard Drive laying around.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Found this handy definition if you want more?

Kernel32.dll is the 32-bit dynamic link library found in the Windows operating system kernel. It handles memory management, input/output operations, and interrupts. When Windows boots up, kernel32.dll is loaded into a protected memory space so other applications do not take that space over.

On occasion, though, users may encounter the "invalid page fault" error.

This error occurs when a program or application tries to access kernel32.dll's protected memory space. Sometimes the error is caused by one particular program or application, and other times it is provoked by multiple files and applications.

If the problem results from running one application, then the application needs to be replaced. If the problem occurs when accessing multiple files and applications, the corruption is probably caused by faulty hardware.

3. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Any good OS (or program for that matter) needs to have error trapping and reporting built in. If possible error messages weren't coded in, it would mean the programmers didn't do their job. Seeing specific error messages for specific errors is preferable to a generic message for all errors.

4. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

(A)bort, (R)etry, (I)gnore?

5. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Great example :D

6. Jagdpanzer

Jagdpanzer Private First Class

Lighten up dudes, I just thought it was funny that about 15% of the file (maybe more than that) is error messages. It can be taken as a joking insult to the OS, but it is true that specific error messages ARE perferable to one generic message: "Your computer crashed. Sorry." That would suck. And by the way, I learned something from Major Attitude about that. I didnt understand about the Kernel thing, not to mention 32 (I kinda thought it was 32-bit, but this made my idea correct). Just thought people could use some extra crap information.

>>As I am typing, there is a program called Process Explorer (that you should get if you don't have it already), and it indicates that 4 programs on my system are running a part of Kernel32.dll Interesting huh?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds