Dual boot -- vista wont boot ubuntu will

Discussion in 'Software' started by GaryG, Nov 16, 2006.

1. GaryG

GaryG Private First Class

I have Vista installed on my "play" puter. Installed Ubuntu using most of the defaults. It re-arrainged my single 80G harddrive, left vista intact and ubuntu installed clean.
    Grub splash screen shows some ubuntu options, it also shows vista.
    Ubuntu boots fine. If I select vista the boot hangs. Tried to boot vista in safe mode and the last thing the log shows is "/windows/system32/drivers/crcdisk.sys"

Vista booted ok before I installed ubuntu

Any idea what is going on

Gary

2. Joker_Joe

Joker_Joe Private E-2

3. Hairman

Hairman Private E-2

Hey GaryG, did you find any fix for that dual boot problem? I tried that link the Joker left and I could not access it. I was wondering if you had any luck with the problem? I have the exact same problem. I was having hang problems with my vista, and installed Ubuntu 11.10 to be able to use the system, and now I cannot get back to my vista. I have tried some of the Ubuntu tricks on the community board but I dont really know enough about using the terminal yet to really dig in. I look forward to it, but for now I am stuck. I was thinking of installing a dual boot program. Does anyone think this might work, or do you have to install that before you put on a second OS? THANKS, HAIRMAN.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

You might have better luck starting a new thread in the Linux forum. Better chance of someone familiar with the Ubuntu bootloader giving an answer.

Is your Vista installation shown in the bootloader? Does it start Vista at all?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds