Suddenly cannot connect laptop to wireless network at work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sand0113, Jul 21, 2008.

1. sand0113

sand0113 Private E-2

Before this post I have searched the internet extensively, and while I have found similar problems (with solutions), I have not found the exact problem that I have having. The most similar was posted here on Major Geeks in 2005, but it was not similar enough to be of substantial help to me. I am hoping that someone can help!!!

I have a Dell Vostro 1400 running on Windows XP Professional with SP2. I typically connect to the internet via wireless everywhere I go (home, office, airport, etc). Two weeks ago, I was suddenly unable to connect to the wireless network at the office; the closest I got was “acquiring network address.” I was really busy at the time, trying to get caught up with stuff in the office as I prepared to go out of town, and I figured that it was just a fluke and would resolve itself. I didn’t try a wireless connection at the office again until today. Over those few busy days, I was able to connect wirelessly at home without difficulty. Three days after the initial problem, I was able to connect without problem to the internet at a major airport without difficulty. I am still able to connect at home (when my ‘borrowed’ signal is strong enough). All of the other computers in my office are able connect without problems.

The computer has been programmed to automatically pick an IP address since I got it a few months ago. It has always been 192.168.0.xxx. Today I found that it was autoconfiguring the IP address at 169.xxx.xx.xxx. When I pick a static IP address I can connect to the network wirelessly, but I cannot connect to the internet. (When I connect to a ‘borrowed’ wireless signal at home, I am pulling an IP address of 192.168.1.109 and connect as soon as I open the computer. Ran ipconfig/all while connected, and still showing media disconnected.) I turned off the firewall and Panda anti-virus and got no change. I tried ipconfig/renew, ipconfig/release and ipconfig/flushdns and got nothing here, either. I have rebooted the laptop, the router and the DSL modem. I used the reset button on the router and re-entered all of the network settings. Still nothing. I turned off the router’s security and made it an open network connection…still nothing. I tried to manually enter the MAC address of the router and this twice resulted in the ‘blue screen of death’ that indicated “a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer” and “DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.” I cannot ping the laptop from other computers on the office, nor can I ping the other computers from the laptop. At one point today I was showing “media disconnected” instead of the automatic IP address.

I spent hours working on this today and I am stumped. I am self-employed and unfortunately cannot dump too many more hours into this without it seriously cutting into productivity. Any and all suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!

2. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

This sounds like the DHCP is turned off on router or there is a router fault but what has me stumped is that the rest of the office is still conected are they also wireless conections.

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Some people dont allow dhcp on wireless, as to be a bit more secure, making users use assigned ip addresses and such to connect. Perhaps this may have changed and you not made aware of it? Just something to double check.

4. sand0113

sand0113 Private E-2

Thanks to both of you for your replies. DHCP is still enabled on the router. I actually disabled it yesterday and it did not make a difference. Two of the other computers in the office are connected via ethernet cable and one is connected via wireless without problems. Any other thoughts? At this point I am considering replacing the router.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What else is showing with the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error?
    This is a D1 stop error and sometimes it is a faulty driver.

Also what is the event viewer showing (control panel/Amin Opions) at the time the error occurs?

6. sand0113

sand0113 Private E-2

I don't know what else comes with the error....I have only gotten that "blue screen of death" one time, and honestly don't really want to see it again. :-D

Thanks for your effort in helping.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds