Omit system restore from ccleaner

Discussion in 'Software' started by darlene1029, Apr 21, 2008.

1. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

When I run ccleaner it wipes all my restore dates, is there something here I can uncheck to keep it from doing that?
    Sorry about the size tried to reduce it many times, gave up :(

[​IMG]

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Darlene

As far as I know and I also scoured the settings of CCleaner is that by "default" it does or should not touch the System Restore points in XP. However I do remember an issue with some versions but this is going back to 2006! in that if you had the Empty Recycle Bin option under System checked that it would also remove SR points, unchecking it leaves them, seemed to be a unknown bug/feature/issue in that it was random to the PC.

Is your PC a OEM one like DELL, HP etc with a restore partition? if so make sure Windows System Restore is not monitoring those.

Do you have or run any other applications that erase junk and temps?

3. darlene1029

Hi Halo,
    the other things I run are Disc Cleanup (hardly ever use it) mostly in the control panel delete temporary through Internet Options, spywareblaster, Spybot search & Destroy, Windows Defender and thats probably it.

My PC used to be Gateway, had it repaired and the guy said it turned out the case was part of the system :confused so he put it into a larger case, it was a slimline, not sure about it now.
    Have Windows XP.
    Thank you for your help

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'm not sure where system restore is located (2K doesn't have that feature) so click on Options, then the Exclude button on the left and then the add folder button on the right and put the Restore folder in the exclude window.

5. darlene1029

I didn't see an Exclude button, thank you for taking the time to help.

Attached Files:

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I leave them all blank, and manage Restore points manually. Bazza

Attached Files:

7. darlene1029

Yours is different then mine, I don't have the exclude even going into settings

8. bigbazza

This is the version I am using. Bazza

===

Attached Files:

9. DavidGP

Hi Darlene

That version your running is from around 2006, so may well be one of the versions that had this glitch, it was suposed to be fixed in later versions so maybe well worth updating to version 2.xxx of CCleaner here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html ( version 2.06.567 )

The option to not include cleaning of the recycle bin in CCleaner is done via Cleaner tab > under System > Empty Recycle Bin *see piccy below* but the latest versions of CCleaner may well remove this issue you have without unticking that option.

[​IMG]

Managing System Restore points is not something CCleaner does, to manage any drives or partitions you need to right click My Computer and then Properties, click the System Restore tab and check what drives you have listed? dont untick any yet, let us know what ones you have. Only mentioning this as its known issue when restore partitions of PCs are included in System Restore can amongst other things erase other restore dates.

Could always do a bit of troubeshooting and nailing the app responsible, create a restore point and double check its created ( dont restore it ) then reboot and check its still created for that date, then run CCleaner, check if its been deleted if not then try Spybot etc etc you may find the culprit in the software you have or we may need to dig deeper, could be your AV if Norton, could be the lack of free hard drive space ( off hand min free HD space would have to be 50MB and SR will be suspended and all SR points purged until 200MD is free )

10. darlene1029

I downloaded the ccleaner version 2.06 then Norton said I needed a scan so that's where I'm at now, it takes forever. Thanks

11. darlene1029

Managing System Restore points is not something CCleaner does, to manage any drives or partitions you need to right click My Computer and then Properties, click the System Restore tab and check what drives you have listed? dont untick any yet, let us know what ones you have.

Don't see drivers :confused

Attached Files:

12. bigbazza

darlene1029, you can save a lot of allocated hard drive space (if you want to) by moving that slider from Max (12%) to around 3% (or what you decide on). Every so (infrequent) often, I wipe all my old Restore points. The last restore point will automatically be saved (and not deleted). You may already be aware of this, of course. :D Bazza

13. darlene1029

I'm not aware of much, :eek: I depend on the computer to make it's own judgments. I thank you I will change that setting.
    So far I have ran every spyware and bot program I have and my dates are still there on system restore, all except ccleaner, I'm kinda scared to.

14. darlene1029

Ok, ran Ccleaner and have this months restore dates. Thanks guys for the help. :wave

15. DavidGP

Hi Darlene,

To just cover the point of which Hard Drives System Restore is covering in your piccy, under Status you have C: Monitoring ... that is the only hard drive or patirion you have on your PC, so thats fine,

As for the System Restore points not being deleted, great!! likely was the old version of CCleaner you had installed as its version was from around the time of the issue some had and missing SR points and cheers for update on this.

16. darlene1029

Thanks again

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds