Icons in Start->Programs-Startup run twice

Discussion in 'Software' started by applegaa, Jan 11, 2005.

1. applegaa

applegaa Private E-2

I have one computer that is having this problem, and one that is not. Both are running Windows XP Professional SP2. The machine that is having this problem also has the NetWare client installed. The machine is a Dell Dimension 4400 with a P4 1.90 GHz processor and 256 MB of RAM. The problem started about the time I installed SP2, but I'm not exactly sure of when specifically. I reboot this machine once a week or less, so I've been living with this for quite a while now.

I have tried removing all icons from the Startup group and the logon goes normally. If I put any icon in the Startup group, it will run twice when I logon. I tried searching through Google and various other resources, but I could not find a single hit that was related. If anybody here has any ideas, I would love to here them.

Thanx,

Andy

2. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Sounds a little strange, do you logon to a Windows-Network and a Netware-Network ?

When adding an item to the Startup-Folder, then you might check whether it is added to All Users and your own user, or both.

When adding startup-items to the registry (Instead of the folder) does the problem also occur ?

3. applegaa

applegaa Private E-2

I log into the local Windows machine and the NetWare network. I do not log into the domain, although I sometimes authenticate against it for file sharing. (I do not have any drives mapped to servers in the domain.)

I have checked and made sure that the icons are only in the Startup group for 'All Users'. Removing the icons from the 'All Users' Startup group does stop them from trying to load at all. Any icon I put there will run twice.

As far as I know, the entries in the registry work normally. I have not seen any messages about things running twice for anything there. When I get a break later I'll trying putting something in the registry that would be obvious if it tried to run twice.

Thanx,

Andy

4. videogurl

videogurl Corporal

hello
    im having a problem with my icons. the start menu is ok and my quick launches are ok, but anyhting past the start menu and other places in my computer the icons are all wrong...ie: recycle bin for pictures) i try to change and they dont change...any help here? running winme

5. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

It is best to start your own thread when requesting help, makes it easier to help and makes it easier for those who need help to receive it. If the below link doesn't help you, then please make a new thread describing your problem.

http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak...#SHELLICONCACHE

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds