Windows XP system freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MFB, Jun 13, 2006.

1. MFB

MFB Private E-2

Hi all,

I really need help. This has frustrated me for so long now.

I have an intel 1.1 Ghz system with 80 GB HDD and 512 megs of Ram. Good enough for me for now.

My machine started freezing up on me last autumn during surfing in high end flash sites, and also in working in Macromedia Flash as well. I thought it may be restricted to flash sites, and was told some spyware may be conflicting with it. My system is genuinely clean of spyware, though. I use Ad-aware and Spybot Search and Destroy. I thought it was a mouse conflict, since I did have a wireless MS optical mouse, and removing it HELPED a lot! But still it freezes. So I still considered a mouse conflict of some sort. But even when making a PPT file, and nudging a graphic with arrow keys, the machine froze.

It seems that big time graphics jobs freeze my system.

I reseated the memory sticks, formatted my entire HDD again, and the same problem persists.

Is my HDD faulty? I scandisked it and so on, and things have not changed.

I received this report from PCPITSTOP:

I have Registry Mechanic -- run it all the time. And I checked for virsues in safe mode.

HELP!!!

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Operating system? Any error boxes? Did you format or install over the top?

When you first loaded the OS was there a problem........before installing anything?

3. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Welcome to Major Geeks MFB mem test would be a starting point, also hate to say this but most high graphics loads barely run on 526 megs especially if you have other programs running go into Task Manager and take a look at what is running and how much it is using of your Ram. Post back and let us know Argh beat me to it again Hipster

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

I must wake up too. OS is in the thread topic. :rolleyes:

Any service packs?

5. MFB

MFB Private E-2

Windows XP, no error boxes.. just freeze-ups. I formatted the whole HDD and did not install overtop of the present XP.

I downloaded Mozilla Firefox before I really tried anything else. And I downloaded the Ad-Aware and Spybit S&D and ran those in safe mode. So I never really tried the system before downloading these other programs. Should I perhaps format again and just see what happens with Windows IE and my browsing?

6. MFB

MFB Private E-2

I have not installed service pack 2 yet.. just 1.

7. MFB

MFB Private E-2

I have a NVIDIA VANTA card with 16mb memory. Someone said that would be my problem. Is this true?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  8. MFB

MFB Private E-2

Any more thoughts? Thanks.

9. MFB

MFB Private E-2

I use photoshop for 300 resolution and flash programming, and it also freezes on me in hihg end graphic websites. But someone DID say the card may be the culprit. Maybe I should get it, and if I need a new computer, I will have the card anyway. :)

10. MFB

MFB Private E-2

BUMPO

11. MFB

MFB Private E-2

Great and thanks ! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds