Can't get rid of Red x displaying as images in IE

Discussion in 'Software' started by newuser, Apr 1, 2005.

1. newuser

newuser Private E-2

Hello Everyone,

I searched the forums and read up “Images Not Displaying In Internet Explorer (Red X's As Images)” and followed all the instructions there, annoyingly I’m still getting the red x as images.

It is so annoying that I can’t view anything on most sites, including mine. I don’t know how things look unless I use a friend’s pc or go down to an internet café.

I have a feeling its Spy Blaster blocking me from viewing things properly on my machine. Can some one please help me on where and how I can turn this off in Spy Blaster or on anything else that could be causing it?.

I have IE verison 6.0, Windows XP home and Service Pack 2 installed.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. newuser

newuser Private E-2

Thanks Halo. I went through the steps also as instructed on the Microsoft site, but unfortunately there is still no change. The Red x still displays as images.

Can anyone else please help me out on this issue. I really don't know what else to do as I'm at my wits end.

Thanks in advance.

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I would make sure all temporary files are cleaned out. Then under IE options under temporary internet files, settings, look for the top option that says "check for newer versions of stored pages" and check the every visit to the page option. Close browser, try again.

5. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Alternatively, use Mozilla or some other browser. Always a good idea to have at least 2 web browsers in case one becomes tedious for some reason.

I use Mozilla browser and their email program, the latter is a lot more user friendly (to this user in any case) than OE.

Good luck

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

However, it makes no sense to use an alternative browser and ignore the problem.

newuser,

Got a firewall? Which one? Have you tried removing it?

What sites specifically have red X's?

7. newuser

newuser Private E-2

Hello
    I have cleaned out all temporary files and also chosen the "check the every visit to the page" option as suggested in an earlier post, but nothing stiil has changed.

I use Norton and Windows Firewalls, I have not removed them but I disabled them and there was still no change. The sites that specifically has red x's are Yahoo, MSN almost every site I visit basically will have a red x there if there is some kind of image present.

I also have spyblaster installed, I'm wandering if this could possibly be part of the problem.

I still need help regarding this issue and any further tips or advice will be great.

Thanks again in advance.

8. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

9. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

You might need to be a little more specific here:

1. Which Norton's do you have installed, is it just the anti-virus or NIS? If you have Norton Internet Security you have two firewalls running which is not good.

2. Have you recently installed or reinstalled Norton's, or updated from a previous version?

3. When did this start? You seem to think it's Spy Blaster, if all this started after installing Spy Blaster, look for features there that block ads, spam, pop-ups, etc.

Steve

10. newuser

newuser Private E-2

I have NIS 2005 installed and yes I have recently re-installed it. This all started also very recently.

Any idea if it's NIS causing this and if it is, can I be pointed in the right direction please.

I have checked spyblaster time and time again, I just thought there might be something I'm missing or don't know about that someone in here might have come across.

I also did as the link JoeN posted said, and still nothing. The article said no reboot needed, so as of when posting this I haven't re-booted my system, but I'll do that now and notify of any changes.

Thanks everyone

11. jowolf359

jowolf359 Private E-2

I use AVG Free Anitvirus and Zone Alarm 5.5, these work well together. You might want to do an unistall and clean out everything that has to do with Norton/Symantic and then do a clean re-install of your NIS 2005. When you say Spyblaster, do you mean SpyWareBlaster? Norton is a real crabby program, to me it seems like it wants to decide everything and blocks what it feels should not be running. Try the clean install and if that don't work, go to the main site and download AVG and Zone Alarm, both are free and should work on your computer. Disable the Windows Firewall, it is useless. You can always go back to NIS 2005 if this don't work.

12. newuser

newuser Private E-2

Forgive me I meant SpyWareBlaster, I've now just disabled my Windows Firewall and I'll uninstall NIS and see if there are any changes. The thing is though I had Norton installed some weeks before this started happening.

Do you recommend I totally remove everything to do with Norton on my pc or what?

Thanks

13. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

newuser,

Disable the "Ad Blocking" feature of Norton Internet Security. If that works, you may just need to uncheck the "Turn on Popup Window Blocking" option there and see if it still works.

Steve

14. newuser

newuser Private E-2

Hi, Ad blocking is already turned off, I uninstalled NIS but no joy so I just re-installed it.

15. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

16. jowolf359

jowolf359 Private E-2

Be sure to install an AV program once you remove Norton, I always trust AVG, it is a good program. Make sure you have it downloaded before you remove Norton, then go offline and install the new AV program. then go and update, see if IE opens better then.

17. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

Sorry to hear nothing is helping your problem, have you tried to "repair" IE thru the "Add & Remove " section of the Control panel ??
    It can't hurt !

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds