Have linksys wireless network - looking to add print server??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wizry11, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Wizry11

Wizry11 Private First Class

hey guys, I have a WRT54G Wireless Router and am buying an Epson Stylus Photo R300 printer - i want to get a linksys print server like the WPS54G
    but am reading mixed reviews. would love to print over my wep 128-bit encrypted home wireless network but if any of you have any suggestions/experience with linksys compatability with epson printers, please advise.

thanks guys

Wiz

2. dedub

dedub Corporal

ZD nets overall rating is 5.2 out of 10. Not worth the risk and the $100. Another alternative is the Iogear print server. Its no bigger than a match box. It requires a 10/100 connections that will go to your router and then a usb cable to the printer. So your wireless printing is only from your machine to your router. With that said the setup is half the trouble and twice as easy to trouble-shoot. The cost on that server is less than half and my experience with them has be excellent. I dont have experience with other servers though, just giving you my opinion.

good luck

3. Wizry11

do you think its possible to hook it up the printer to my network via a single cat5e cable to the router? - this way it would have to be located close to the router but would be hardwired into the network . . . could this be a viable alternative??

also - this printer comes with bluetooth capability - maybe i could utilize this feature in some way?

please advise . . .

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

You have better chance to win the MegaLotto than finding an Entry Level Network Hardware that does not get mixed reviews. :rolleyes:

If you can forgo the encryption, any Wireless Printer Server would do.

If you insist on encryption you are better off getting the same brand as the router.

Wired printer server need no encryption. :)

:cool:

5. Wizry11

well since i am not technologically challenged and am using all linksys components so far . . . i think ill just go ahead and pick up the wireless-g print server i noted before and get it to work . . . the reviews are either a 10 or a 1 thus the 5.2 rating from "users" i got hard money betting im smater than most and can get this to work . . . haha let the games begin.

i don't need an all-in-one printer - this seems to be the type of printer that the majority of problems users are having happen with . . .

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Yeah, user reviews. Really great stuff. If some guy can't get it to work for some reason, they give it a 1, if it does exactly what it was made to do, they give it a 10. Not terribly objective reviews but never mind.

If you put your mind to it, you'll be able to get it to work, I'm sure. Do report back on your progress :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds