Using DOCSIS 2.0 modem on Comcast DOCSIS 3.0 system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by idreos, Jun 11, 2010.

1. idreos

idreos Private E-2

I have been having an ongoing problem with dropped internet connections in my home network requiring unplugging and re connecting my router and modem.
    Is there a likelihood that this might be caused by using an old DOCSIS 2.0 motorola cable modem with Comcast's 3.0 DOCSIS system in Annapolis

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Have you asked for an upgraded modem from comcast?

3. idreos

idreos Private E-2

thanks for your reply...its a motorola 5100 cable modem I purchased about 5 years ago.

4. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

It's unlikely that the DOCSIS 2.0 modem is the problem, at least not as far as the DOCSIS specification goes.

The only significant difference between DOCSIS 2.0 and 3.0 is what they refer to as Channel Bonding which means it's like running multiple modems at the same time. Your 2.0 modem does not use channel bonding so it just sends and receives on a single channel, not to be confused with a TV channel. The current channel bonding is 4 channels but they have 8 channel ready to go. So far most US ISP's are only using channel bonding in the download not the upload meaning you download at 4 times the speed you upload but then they throttle the uploads any way so it really doesn't matter anyway.

If you could post your modem log it might offer a clue about your problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds