Brand NEW CPU & Motherboard + Overheating Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by swalsh19, Sep 5, 2007.

1. swalsh19

swalsh19 Private First Class

I have a brand new CPU & Motherboard here. I installed the unit as I would any other time. This unit for some reason is overheating. I can go into bios and watch the CPU temp sky rocket. The fan becomes hot to touch also...

Is it at all possible that the CPU is bad?

I have removed the fan, I'm awaiting it to cool down. I then will remove all the original heatsink compound and apply som fresh stuff.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Thx in advance!

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

check voltages on the power supply too with a voltmeter. If the cpu fan turns and heatsink installed good temps shouldnt go up that fast at all . If its an intel socket 775 make sure the pins are through the board and spread out on the other side correctly. But yes it can be a bad cpu (happens now and then just thankfully not too often :) )

3. swalsh19

swalsh19 Private First Class

I cleaned the factory heatsink compound and reinstalled fan with some new compound and all is well now.

Thx for replying.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds