windows operating system wont install

Discussion in 'Software' started by boredatwork, Nov 29, 2006.

1. boredatwork

boredatwork Private E-2

hello everyone
    my problem is that i have a new hard drive which when i boot from the cd rom with the windows xp operating system disk ,it formats the new hard drive and then i get the restart in 15 seconds screen....when it restarts you would then expect it to start loading windows automatically but for some reason it goes all through the formating process again.....i cant get past this first format partition screen....i tried reinstalling on my old smaller drive to see if im doing something wrong and it loads a new operating system perfectly......i have the jumpers set to cable select on both drives and it does know the drive is there as it comes up with the size of it on the partition page.....ive had the same problem with another new drive last week so this is a replacement as the shop assumed the first one was faulty....seeing as im getting the same problem with this one as well it must be something im not doin correctly but what...heeelp

2. lsdmeasap

lsdmeasap Private E-2

you must set the new drive as a "boot" Drive, hopefully you got ya some tools with it on a cd? If not Google Hirens boot cd it has drive tools in it!

3. boredatwork

boredatwork Private E-2

nah its definatly not that...ive already reinstaled the operating system on the old hard drive im replacing and the instilation disk does everything for you without needing any extras.....the new one just keeps repeating the formating partitioning page without going any further...annoying

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

When you say "cable select on both drives" I take this to mean you have two hard drives on the same connection?

Try just having the one new drive in only for the install, plus set it's jumper to Master, if XP installs on that drive ok, reconnect the 2nd HD and set its HDs jumper to slave if sharing the same cable, i've found CS setting to be problematic.

5. lsdmeasap

lsdmeasap Private E-2

I would just use your old smaller drive for OS and use the new one for all other stuff.

6. boredatwork

boredatwork Private E-2

no im not trying to use 2 drives ....im installing a newer larger drive from scratch.....im just mentioning how the old one installs as a comparison

7. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

This partition page you talk of, confuses me....are you partitioning the new drive before you load the OS, and if so, are you attempting to load it on the the correct formatted partition?

Some drives can be temperamental, set the jumper on the new drive to master just to be sure (if you have only one HDD)....I'm assuming all is above board in system BIOS?

Make sure you are not running any optical drives on the same IDE channel!

Regards...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2006
  8. boredatwork

boredatwork Private E-2

when you start the operating system disk it askes where you want to install windows...in other words what partition do you want to put it in....as there arent any on a new drive it creats one then formats it......then it should restart and load windows xp automaticaly onto the formatted partition,but it doesnt it just starts going through all the formating process all over again......my bios is pretty up to date although i will check on the dell website to see if there are updates for newer hard drives.....ill try the master jumper tonight and see if that makes a difference although i tried both on the drive i first bought and returned to the shop last week and it didnt make any difference to that one

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Not knowing how old or whats installed in your DELL, I would also check, is the IDE ribbon cable connecting the HD a 40 or 80 wire?

also is the new HD seen in the BIOS? also while in the BIOS, check to make sure no BIOS virus scan/alert is enabled, if it is disable it and save and exit the BIOS.

10. boredatwork

boredatwork Private E-2

i had a look and the hd wire is a 40....although ive been told that it should still work but just a bit slower unless its an 80

11. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Two simple things to check:

I realize you had no problem installing XP on your old hard drive but I'll suggest it anyway, after you choose format and it restarts when it says "Hit any key to boot from CD.." you should NOT be hitting any key but should leave the CD in the drive.

The other thing is reread the insert that came with the harddrive and make sure that you shouldn't be using the manufacture's disk to initialize the drive. I would let their software format and partition the drive (only takes a couple of minutes) and then start the XP installation. You can always let XP reformat if you choose.

12. boredatwork

boredatwork Private E-2

well i tried a couple of these things last night and managed to stumble on a solution.....not sure exactly what did it but im now up and ru nning...
    thanks everyone

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds