Unable to connect

Discussion in 'Software' started by chubb3g114, Mar 29, 2015.

1. chubb3g114

chubb3g114 Private E-2

Hi
    When trying to connect to http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html I just get the above message. It's been working OK for years and all other bookmarks work, have removed cookies have looked at the firewall and cannot see anything wrong there (not that I know what to look for) been like it now for 3 days and the site loads OK on my i pad.

chubb3g114

2. chubb3g114

chubb3g114 Private E-2

Hi Joe, thanks for the reply.

Running windows 7 Home premium, service pack 1 using Waterfox 64 bit. This site will not open in IE.

3. chubb3g114

chubb3g114 Private E-2

Hi, thanks for the replies.

The site will not load in Waterfox or IE and there are no Restricted Sites listed in IE.
    No other sites are failing to connect.

chubb3g114

4. chubb3g114

chubb3g114 Private E-2

Hi, thanks for your help.

When I type "www.dailymail.co.uk" in waterfox and click load it goes to a Google page with the daily mail web sites listed and with IE it goes to Bing with the web sites listed but neither one will load the site, waterfox says "unable to connect" and IE says "this page can't be displayed" but all other sites load OK.

chubb3g114

5. chubb3g114

chubb3g114 Private E-2

Hi
    No it's definitely the address bar, if I type another address say daily telegraph it goes straight to the site, it's as if dailymail has been blocked but I cannot find out where.

chubb3g114

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

What do you get if you type 195.234.240.212 directly into the address bar. If that gets you to the site then open an elevated commend window and type ipconfig /flushdns

7. chubb3g114

chubb3g114 Private E-2

Hi, thanks for your help.

The numerical address does not work, tried the tomshardware edit hosts file and still not working but the error message now is "the page is not directing properly"

chubb3g114

8. Earthling

Have you tried it in both browsers? That address bypasses all web DNS servers and should take you directly to the Daily Mail web site. If it works on another computer, and if all your other favorites are working normally then it's definitely being blocked either by your hosts file or IE's/Waterfox's site blocker. Probably a bit of trickery by the Express or Mirror ;)

9. chubb3g114

chubb3g114 Private E-2

Hi

The numerical address does not work in either browser, had a look in all folders in Host file except imhosts.sam folder which would not open but found nothing.

chubb3g114

10. Earthling

The ONLY hosts file you should be looking at has no file extension at all and is in Windows\System32\drivers\etc. It should not have any folders and you need to enable Show Hidden files to access it in Explorer.

Think I would copy the hosts file and rename the original as hosts.old. Then delete all entries in hosts other than those starting with a hash.

11. chubb3g114

chubb3g114 Private E-2

Hi Earthling thanks for your help.

All the entries in Hosts start with a hash except the one I added, should I have put a hash as well?

chubb3g114

12. Earthling

I wasn't aware you had added anything to hosts. Can you copy and paste it here please.

13. chubb3g114

chubb3g114 Private E-2

14. Earthling

The line you added is fine. Although, as far as we know, only this site is affected in this way, I have to ask you how extensively you have tested your other favorites? We need to be 99/100 sure that only this site is affected.

15. Earthling

Untrue. The line is perfectly good.

16. chubb3g114

chubb3g114 Private E-2

Hi

All my other bookmarks are working normally.

chubb3g114

17. Earthling

I was really expecting you would discover other sites not working, but as it is I just have to say I'm more or less out of ideas now. You may not want to do this but one option is to install Chrome and see if the problem persists there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds