Creation of Restore Disk and Boot Disk

Discussion in 'Software' started by jmdt, Oct 13, 2010.

1. jmdt

jmdt Private E-2

I have a new computer (HP, Windows 7) with no boot or system restore disks. How do I go about creating restore and boot disks? I could not seem to find this under the "Setting Up A New Computer" link. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Model of HP as well as letters and numbers would help me search HP's support for the directions for your particular computer.

3. jmdt

jmdt Private E-2

Thanks plodr! It's an HP G72-B66US.

4. plodr

5. jmdt

jmdt Private E-2

Thank you! What a wonderful resource you provided! Does F11 mean that I may not have to create a boot disk?

6. plodr

You don't need any sort of boot disk BUT after you've used F11 to restore to factory settings (you lose everything you have installed) please do yourself a favor and create the rescue DVD(s).
    If the hard drive dies, you will be able to install another hd in that computer, use the rescue DVD and have a fully functioning computer again.

Note: It is worth repeating, using the F11 puts the computer back to the factory settings. All programs, documents, emails and windows updates will be gone and not recoverable. You will be starting from when the computer was new and have to install all the windows updates and other programs that did not come with the computer again.

7. jmdt

jmdt Private E-2

That was very helpful. Thank you! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds