Wireless adapter HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by akaramch, Nov 18, 2005.

1. akaramch

akaramch Private E-2

I have a netgear WGR 614 router that has a speed of 54mbps

I want to by a wireless network adapter. The WG511 has a speed of 54Mbps where as the WG 511T has a speed of 108Mbps.

Ofcourse if I buy the WG 511T I wont get the benefit of the higher speed on the 614 router, but would I get the extra range ?

Please advice....which one i should buy

2. chasezcw

chasezcw Private E-2

i would buy the 511 unless planning to buy 108 router later, its the routers gain that matters on range, measured in Dbi, i installed a wireless 54mb lynksis router in a small house upstairs you could only get good strong signal halfway though on one side of house (side with router), had to add a repeater to boost the signal through entire house upstairs corners. And its not just that i wasnt getting a connection i would but at 11mb and it would stop here and there while stationary. once i grabbed a repeater i had no further problems. but i fond out later that in some cases a good antenna will do the trick for a router to expand range

if you need range get an antenna to add to the router later, i use hawking gain antennas off top of head 35 bucks gets you a 7dbi ant. and for around 45 theres a nice 15dbi corner antenna or add a repeater later but a hawking repeater will take a chunk of 80 or so to buy. prices just general shop around of course

3. akaramch

akaramch Private E-2

Ya, I feel you are right about the wireless adapter. I will go for the WG 511

The Netgear router I have has a 2dbi antenna. I would like to upgrade the antenna as you reccommend. Is any antenna compatible with the above router. How much range would the 15dbi or 9 dbi give.

Thanks

4. akaramch

akaramch Private E-2

Which is better to use with a laptop at home ?

54 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter

OR

54 Mbps Wireless PC Card 32-bit CardBus
    Model WG511

I appreciate any guidence or past experiance...........thanks

5. chasezcw

chasezcw Private E-2

based on my own tastes of course, i would use a card for wireless instead of the usb adapter, save the usbs for other peripheal connectivity, ive had great wired and wireless usb adapters then ive also had terrible ones too. I like internal cards vs external usb adapters. Basically due to adapters sticking out the backside of your notebook and such. And if you use usb flash drives or external hard drives, printers, scanners, list goes on, then you dont have to stop your wireless usb adapter, take it out, plug up the next peripheal, and who wants to lug around more stuff with their notebooks, if you use a mouse, usb adapter and occasionally save things to a usb drive you'll need 3 usb ports unless you carry around a usb hub to get extras. I have seen people completely burn out the usb ports from overconnecting things in desktops.

onto antennas/wireless routers adding antennas and range

most gain antennas you can buy to plugin to router will do so by removing old one and putting on new one, most added on antennas come with a cable of x feet for positioning purposes, if your router has 2 antennas you could take one, put on a gain antenna for inside home, take other put on needed length of cable run to outside of house add a gain antenna to end of cable and voila, another part of your property has wireless internet access. As far as range i know of there are wireless high speed internet providers who use wireless networking components to broadcast a wireless network out in rural areas where dial up is the norm. they do so by placing a computer driven (repeating tower) that is nothing more than a striped down p4 box that repeats wireless signals at a certain frequency, tower to tower, to consumer tower, i forget the frequency or effective range at which they operate.

I was out on a service call onetime at a residential home where the home owner was using a service like this, paying about what you would for direct tv's dway, he was getting a 3.4 mb connection through this service, nothing blazing compared to having dsl or cable and adding your 54 mb wireless router in the mix, but to think about the above customer, hes doing quite well compared to neighbors who are dial up.

im trying to find some info on the hawking antennas based on how they do range wise. Based on a what you could do with these things, if you wanted to add wireless network to two buildings you would get a directional antenna mounted on outside of first building pointed at second, then add a repeater in second building to cover there.

6. chasezcw

chasezcw Private E-2

biggest question how much range do you want, you wanna share your connection to neighbors or just do your house? silly story follows, at girlfriends house father has wireless lynksis router, its completely open for business no security at all, ok next house to him same story, i was two walls to the linksys 20 feet guesstimate but had better signal strength from second house which was 3 walls and 30 feet of grass 60 ft. guesstimate.

Other story, networking whole house needed more powerful signal, talked to geeksquad at best buy and they said that a repeater would extend better than a gain antenna but another said that the gainantennas i had in my hand (linksys big dual antennas) were total crap.

so, 1 you could try both and keep the better working components returning what does not suit you. i tried three things in that house setup tried another access point, hard wired to first and placed on other side of house, still problematic upstairs, tried setting up same lynksis router in repeat mode, problematic too, returned product, bought ever so smaller lynksis repeater put upstairs where my problem area was and all the sudden the signal strength problem was gone all users in house had full 54mb connections. I was unaware of the gain antennas hawking makes at time of setting up that network. And the repeater i used cost more than an antenna, so try a 9dbi antenna from hawking and see if it covers where your needing it to. ill still look for estimated range, but will depend on your router too.

7. chasezcw

chasezcw Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds