Application vs. Program

Discussion in 'Software' started by cynda99, Feb 27, 2008.

1. cynda99

cynda99 Private E-2

I don't know the difference between an Application and a Program. Thought the Geektionary would help, but didn't find anything there.

I have 2 Dell Windows XP computers.

If I want to copy something such as Microsoft Money from one pc and install it on the other, what exactly do I need to copy? The application or the program?

And where do I find what I need to copy? :confused

Any help in this area is so appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Well basically an Application is an executable file such as Notepad.exe whereas a program can contain more than one application along with numerous other files such as DLL files.

Since the days when Windows had a registry it is far more difficult just to copy a program as it often has numerous entries in the registry which will point to locations of files within the program - this is why prgrams these days are generally installed. Only if the program contains a small number of files or is a self contained executable (such as Notepad which is both a program and an application rolleyes) can a program be copied.

Hope that's all clear. :confusedrolleyes

3. crazylegs

crazylegs Private E-2

As it was explained to me: An application is what you run to effect a task, ie. Word, PhotoShop, etc. A program is/are the bits and pieces that make the application work. Seemed to make sense at the time : )
    Crazylegs

4. cynda99

cynda99 Private E-2

Ok, thanks to all of you for your replies. I sort of understand the difference now.

Guess I'll have to buy the program/app :cry

5. cynda99

cynda99 Private E-2

Thank you. Also thanks for the link to Microsoft Money.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds