bytes received/bytes sent

Discussion in 'Software' started by sparkyrhett, Jun 28, 2008.

1. sparkyrhett

sparkyrhett Private E-2

Good Morn. Can someone explain in simple terms what the values in "bytes sent and bytes received" represent. Are these collective results for each on line session or for each independent download, sent from whom, received by whom, and is the received always larger by nearly 10 times. This question was asked by my grandson and I had no answer. Thanks in advance for any help

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes you have the description of bytes sent and recieved correct.

Basically its you sending the bytes of data to the internet when you click on a link or open a webpage, its basically you saying "send me this page"

then the bytes recieved are the websites saying "ok here you go, here is my webpage" also when you click to download a file or application this adds to the bytes recieved, which is why recieved is much higher than sent as sending a request for a webpage doesnt send much data a few kbs, but if you download an application, music or picture etc they could be 1mb ~ 100mb+

3. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

If I may add a little...

The question of whether you're looking at sent and received for a session or for a download is determined by what you're looking at.

In fact, if you are looking at a meter that changes all the time while you're on the net, it could be measuring your 'net traffic', or perhaps what you are doing in a particular download. And you could be looking at instant download/upload speeds and/or a cumulative total.

If you have a cumulative total, what is showing will depend on when it started measuring. It could be from the start of the month or the start of the session or the start of the download. Different things measure different quantities.

If the measuring just appeared in a panel when you started to download something, like a program, for example, you would probably be looking at the download for that item. But if you are seeing upload figures as well, you are probably looking at net traffic for your session, which may be adding on to what you had before you started.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds