Win 10 ugrade

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Feb 19, 2015.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    I am not techy enough to use VMs or partitions and will wait for the free upgrade to Win 10.
    I have some concerns that you might be able to help me with:
    to begin installation, I will click on the iso icon or the start button,
    during installation I hope to find a choice for custom so I can perform a clean install,
    I am unclear about product keys,
    I am unclear about activation,
    should I tic 'new' to create a reserve partition,
    I will likely lose the WMC I purchased,

As soon as Win 10 is installed and updated I will download my imaging
    program to get a clean baseline image to keep in lieu of the OS disc. for future reinstallations.
    Thank you for correcting my errors

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Peter

When Microsoft start offering the free upgrade to Windows 10 from Win 7 or 8, it will likely come via Windows Update (as the current Tech Preview is offered to some who are signed upto the tech preview get) or via the Store, I would imagine the former.

If it is an ISO download, as it may well be the likely route could be burn the ISO to DVD or to USB pen, I go with the latter as Microsoft have a tool to do this already from Win7/8 HERE

I have no idea as yet and many wont on what this free upgrade will offer as to custom install options, may find out nearer release date

Activation will likely come off your current installed Windows version so should be seamless and nothing to worry about.

Dont know on reserve partition, if its the 100mb one thats in Win 7 and 8 for the recovery tools then this will likely be automatically created.

You should not loose purchased media in an upgrade, but depends where you download this media from?

Yes perfect option to give yourself a baseline to work from and then do your weekly image backups to stay current in case of issues

Hope some of this helps
    David

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thank you for the clarifications, David.
    I realize I will have to wait awhile for answers.
    The referral to the iso tool is great. Last time I used my Ash..... burner to create the 8.1 dvd from the iso file but will have a look at this.
    I bought the WMC from MS when I bought 8.1 and have a key for it also.
    I really hope we are given the option to do a clean install instead of the upgrade, don't you?

The image standing in lieu of the OS disc is a life saver. I have an image of each OS on both external drives in case of hardware failure. There is nothing like a disc.
    Talk soon,
    Peter

4. DavidGP

Hi Peter

If WMC is compatible with Win10 then you will be fine to re-install it if needed.
    If Microsoft offer a free upgrade its likely not to give a clean install option, but you never know, also if you leave it a month or so after final release someone will have come up with a workaround.

5. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Would it help to have a clean image of Win 8.1 if upgrading so as not to upload clutter. If it is a clean install it would not matter as it would not be formatted?
    If I installed the preview now would that be a clean install? if so it might be worth it.
    What would you do to get the cleanest install?

6. DavidGP

Hi P

thats an option if you have backups of all your data, BUT if the clean image is an old one then Win10 may not upgrade as it likely will need some pre-requisite updates first to install, so you'd have to have a clean Win 8.1 with all updates to just before an upgrade.

Will be be better than upgrading with all favours software installed and personal files, maybe, but I'd wait to see what other users experiences are first before deciding which route to go.

Yes and no, while you'd have Win10 preview already you may have left over junk from the preview with the final version, a clean install is with the final release being installed from a formatted HDD/SSD

OH dont install the current preview Peter its ok but not great, really wait until the final to judge.

Cleanest install is from a retail version of Windows

But currently we do not know what route MSFT will take, they make take a in-place upgrade from previous Windows or they may allow with a valid licence code for you to download the ISO and do a clean install, but this would render your previous Windows licence dead and un-activatable, so you couldnt use it again.

Thing is we dont know yet, info may more come out when the next or one after release milestone is available

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Hi Peter

You may not realise that from Win 7 you no longer need burning programs such as Ashampoo. Just right clicking an iso file will offer to burn it for you.

Thought you might like to know :)

8. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

@ Earthling -I have used the right click to burn but was not aware it would do iso files so thank you for that.

@David I burned the Win 10 TP to DVD and noted the product key but will likely not use them as it could be devastating at this point.

It appears, as you say, it is early to judge and decide. I will likely either keep 8.1 which I love or do the upgrade with a clean image of 8.1 and all Windows updates done, hoping you can get a clean install option but not depending upon it.

The picture is beginning to become clearer and patience is the word for a while. Be in touch and thanks.
    Peter

9. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

If you want to skip all the partition, multiboot, or anything dull that requires more research you can always buy a cheap used hard drive that is about 80 gb.

You can get an 80 gb hard drive online probably for $10 or a bit less if you search good enough. The point of this is to install windows 10 to ''test'' it on this small hard drive.

For a mere cost of $10 orso ( unless you already have a spare hard drive) you can avoid all the fuss with partitions and such and just swap out your hard drive and put this one in.

Or just install this 2nd hard drive, and unhook a the cables from it when you don't want your motherboard to read it.

10. DavidGP

Hi Peter

I guess you may have read my email too you by now and the suggestion of if you have a spare HDD, and had a USB connector like this HERE (work better with 2.5" HDD or SSDs), then its a really great viable way to test OSs out, especially as you have a laptop and adding extra HDDs is difficult!

Then this software HERE (covers UEFI also), which I was going to post a dedicated thread about as I have and am running Win 10 TP off it right now on my main desktop but not as traditional dual boot, but as a portable option, actually works really well and tells me that my desktop is OK with Win 10

Personally I would not in its current guise install it on a production or only main PC, but the method above if you have spare 2.5" HDD or SSD is a winner, I'm using a spare old OCZ 250GB SSD, BUT this is alot to get head around but the Win2USB app is very hand holding.

11. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Actually I have a 1 terabyte external hard drive and a 2 terabyte external hard drive.
    Are you suggesting that if I attach the drives to my computer that I could then use them to test windows ten?
    Right now they contain my images of Windows 7 8 and 8.1 but there is plenty of room?

12. theefool

theefool Geekified

IMHO, I'd go the vmware player (free) route and just try it that way. No weird configuration or anything, just give it 40GB somewhere and have fun with it. That is essentially what I did. Except that I used VMware Workstation 11 to do it. (Paid product).

13. Earthling

Absolutely! No partitioning or hardware adjustment required and installs itself merely by pointing it to the downloaded iso file. I used the Player's recommended disk and memory settings and Win 10 TP runs superbly. You do not need to be 'techy' at all peterr to do it this way and performance will be superior to all other methods other than dual boot.

14. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

@ David - You mention 2.5" HDD to install to. Is that the same as my WD external hard drives? I think 2.5" is an internal rive not my external ones but I am not sure. If I could install to one of my external drives that would be great but it probably is not feasible.

@Earthling /theefool -I am trying to, sooner or later, install Win 10 at no cost.
    I do appreciate your information.

I will erase my rw dvd of the current iso as it would be trouble.

15. DavidGP

Yep same size of drive and a WD external as in a passport don't need extra power, so should work fine, just need to make sure you don't need any of the data on the drive first and that your BIOS allows you to boot from USB.

While it worked for me, its one of those things to try if you have the time or just want to dabble a bit. One pitfall I have noted though is Windows 10 and updating it, win update does not like USB drives and it would not update to the latest milestone version, I would need a new ISO for that. So this method is good for a test of a OS unless you need I would take it a major update or Service Pack.

16. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

So as to not confuse the forum, I have a plan.
    First, I have all of my images on both external drives and will avoid partitioning so I cam eliminate that route but thank you for the idea. I was naïve to think the install like other images just reside on the drive.

I am going to wait to see how this unfolds. When I have spare time and it seems as though a tidy Win 8.1 system upgrade will be the way to go I will reinstall win 8.1. After installing Win updates, will image it for the wWn 10 upgrade so it will be clean. If something new comes around, I will reevaluate then.
    Have a good one all.

17. Earthling

I can't imagine what your problem is with a VM peter - it's completely free and requires no special expertise whatsoever. In use you can run Win 10 straight from your Win 8 Start menu or desktop shortcut, just like any other application, and 8 and 10 share an internet connection and can also share files and printers if you wish. You are seriously missing out by not trying it.

I'm posting this from Win 10 running in VMware Player running in Win 7 Pro.

18. DavidGP

I agree with Earthling in a VM is also really good to test other OS's out with, I use Oracle's virtualbox and works great, my other suggestion was just something new I had come across in OS on USB as an alternate.

VirtualBox is easy to use.

19. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

David
    I am having a dialogue with a group who feel that Win 10 will have the option for a custom or clean install.
    I know you felt it was early to know but what is your gut feeling?
    I ask b/c I would create a fresh install of 8.1 and image it for the Wni 10 upgrade so i won't bring all the clutter from the old OS along if there was no custom choice.
    However, if I could fresh install Win 10 then all that work would be unnecessary.

20. DavidGP

HI Peter

Win 10 retail will have custom or clean install, but previous upgrades run off the fact that a previous Windows version was already on the PC, however there can be workaround to this, but how a clean install can be done in whatever way Microsoft wish to push out the free upgrade will only be known nearer the time.

I can speculate a thought that they may have the option to upgrade based off your current licence key, this allows you to download the ISO and install by in-place upgrade (keep all your installed apps and software, files etc) or clean as I think it would be a very good option from Microsoft to gain some end user praise, but I tend to wait until I have read the Microsoft install routes on their website first. If the group you are chatting too have links to info on the install pathways then please let me know as I've not seen much on Microsoft Win 10 page the blog or MSDN.

21. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

David I agree it is best to wait a while to get the facts. I will perform a clean reinstall/ image of 8.1 if I see later that the option is not available with 10.
    Good talking with you,
    Peter

22. old_ireland

old_ireland Private E-2

i had just post a question regarding win 7 to 10 so you are saying it is not a clean install just an upgraded update --- how so on an iso file ?????
    am lost here rolleyes
    isn't this a new OS ? or just a better 8.1 update ?

23. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I was only saying that if it is unsure whether it is an update or an upgrade with the iso and the option to do a clean install I will wait to find out before cleaning up my laptop's OS.

24. old_ireland

old_ireland Private E-2

i would like to thank everyone for the post to my Q
    the HP l/top is not the upgrade am worried about it is my asus X53E. i did have the OS [ win 7 home prem ] burned to CD took 4 discs ; and yes it was the win 7 asus that i got notice to upgrade in OCT . so I will wait
    thanks again for the help ; everyone is so great here :wave

25. DavidGP

Yeah the questions floating around and here are is the Win10 free upgrade going to be an in-place update as in just updates your current Win7/8/8.1 thus keeps baggage and old files OR offers the option to do a clean install as in a blank Windows OS install no apps or files! the info on options for the free upgrade to Win10 are not available, just speculation at present.

But as JoeRay12 mentions all users will know in plenty of time of the release of Windows 10 and upgrade options, me I think we will know via tech press and via Windows Update.

Did you get a Windows 10 update install notification? If so you must have signed up to Windows Insider on your Win 7 logon account, I would not upgrade at all if its offered via Windows Update, as this is beta software and not at all great at present.

26. old_ireland

old_ireland Private E-2

no - i have not installed anything yet . yes i know it is in developer / beta till oct this year . just checking it is free for home prem / since it was the way i read the notice----- the other pc my new hp is on 8.1 so am not worried with that one . again thanks for all the links n help so i can make a smooth crossover
    :wave:wave:wave

27. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

David and others, Win 10 TP is running smoothly on oracle.
    Can you download to it or will the download go to the 8.1 OS?

28. Earthling

It's a self contained OS. Anything you download to it stays there. VMware does have the ability to share folders with the host so I assume VirtualBox does too, but it probably is not activated by default.

29. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thanks for that. So far what is your take on 10 vs. 8.1?

30. Earthling

For those who have acclimatised to 8.1 it feels more like a service pack than a new OS and will have very little effect on their computer use. For those upgrading from 7, or who find 8.1 difficult it should help them over the learning curve I think.

To justify all the hype and jumping over 9 there need to be real improvements in the engine room. Maybe David or Adrynalyne will expand on that in due course.

Congrats on finally taking the leap into a VM btw, and not before time! ;)

31. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thank you for the computer notes and especially for the personal note.
    Much appreciated

32. DavidGP

Win 10 so far is no different to Win 8.1, yes the Start menu is back in a different format and thats likely to get some XP purists heart rate up a tad, but main issue for me so far is GUI its woefully bad!

It may change in later revisions and I hope so but if they keep the pisspoor icons currently, I see no reason to migrate from Win8.1 or Win 7 to 10 as backend/core is near s dammit the same, as most migrate for the GUI, they do not know what the core is doing!?

Only have to site Vista most hated it but the core is was superb as was basically Win7 which most love, then a tweak for Win 8/8.1 and the GUI was hated but core kernel is awsome, in Win 10 the core is good as its more or less Win 8.1 but the GUI is CRAP, my 5yr old niece can draw better.

33. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I was hoping for a change but 10 seems to be a regression from this layperson's point of view.
    We will see what comes down the pike.
    I made a mistake with the VM as I forgot to install the VirtualBox 4.3.24 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack All supported platforms along with the oracle VM. Is this what gives one guest additions?

34. DavidGP

I agree with you, I'm not impressed so far, Windows 8.1 is far superior as is Win 7, the main thing folk are looking at is the GUI and that's pitifully poor, my 5yr old niece could draw better icons.

The core looks no different to Win 7 and 8, so really no improvement, and Win 7 to 8 and in 8 added great tools in Task Manager for troubleshooting, Win 10 well NO additions to this.

I just want to now get to a RTM version to see what we will get in the final release, so far not impressed at all.

35. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yep, the major gripe about windows 10 is the icons. I've looked at leaked builds, and I hope they are not final, but just place-holders.

The new control panel is nice.

The big one is directx 12.

36. DavidGP

Yeah me too on the icons, much prefer the black and white look of control panel if they are going for a look.

Control Panel is a bit more organised and logical, at times in XP > 8.1 you have to hunt for a menu option.

37. Earthling

Hey peter, if you haven't already seen it Skysarge has raised a question about Win 10 and posted this link

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2898...10-upgrade-paths-will-work.html#tk.nl_pcwbest

That should answer your question about method of delivery, though they haven't explained how 8.1 users establish whether or not they have 8.1.514. Those with auto updates on ought to have it but I don't know of an easy way to check.

38. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Good find, Earthling. Lots of information and I like iso's and discs in case of the need for a clean reinstallation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds