New Build: Windows 7 From USB stick?

Discussion in 'Software' started by indyattic, Mar 21, 2015.

1. indyattic

indyattic Corporal

I am building a PC, and didn't put an optical drive in it because I read that I could install Windows from a USB stick as long as I had a valid product key.

I ordered Windows 7 from Tiger Direct, then went to Microsoft.com to use their USB install tool. But alas - it told me that because my version of Win 7 is an OEM version, I can't do it.

Is there a workaround? I have a disc. I have a key.

I have a Windows 7 tower that my son uses for gaming, but I would just as soon not take his DVD drive out. I think his version is probably retail. And I am fairly sure I can't use an OEM key with a retail version.

I have a Windows 8 laptop. If I can read / copy from the disc to the USB on that machine ... that would be ideal.

Can it be done?

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I would get ahold of Tiger Direct and get the right Windows 7.

3. indyattic

indyattic Corporal

Can't. I start a new job Monday and need the computer.

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you have a retail version of Windows and try to use the OEM Product Key from the sticker on the computer, it won't work. Tiger Direct should have included a Retail COA/Product Key WITH the DVD.

5. Valiantius

Valiantius Private E-2

Instead of using Microsoft's USB Download tool try rufus. All you need is your Son's computer, a USB port, and a USB drive with at least 4/8Gb capacity.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Warning: rufus will format all data on USB, so back it up or lose it!

pop in USB drive, put Windows7 DVD into your son's optical drive, let it read it for a few sec, then download and run rufus, it should automatically detect the USB drive, keep all options default (NTFS, MBR partion scheme for both boot options, etc....) and in drop down of creating boot disk, choose DVD image and browse to the optical drive, then click start and let it run.

It may take approx 5 - 30min depending on the speed of everything, but once it is done, go and eject the dvd and safely remove the USB drive, and just make sure the BIOS on your new rig is set to boot from USB drives first, and all should be good.

6. indyattic

indyattic Corporal

Valiantius - you are THE MAN!

I actually was able to do from my Windows 8 laptop using Rufus. And omg - the install was less than 20 minutes. I will never install windows from a disc in the future - it was that much faster.

I got lucky - apparently the board was set to boot from the USB. I plugged the stick in, then turned it on, wasn't quick enough on the DEL key to open the BIOS settings, and it started loading. Surprised me, but ...

Yay!

Now to run the cabling...

thank you! thank you! thank you!

7. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Are/were you able to activate Windows?

8. Valiantius

Valiantius Private E-2

They should have been able to, since if you try using the Microsoft Windows 7 USB download tool, it will not allow you to activate with an OEM key. I have run into it on a few occasions, and they have all been OEM keys. I have also run into it not working at all, so that was when I did some digging and found rufus, and even though I love doing the CMD prompt way, rufus gets it done with 5x the speed, and has yet to fail me.

Also I am glad to have been some assistance to you, enjoy your new build!

Val

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds