MITSUBA® 3.1 MP DIGITAL CAMERA / VIDEO CAMCORDER /quality ,functioning?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MARKKK, May 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MARKKK

MARKKK Private E-2

the very inexpensive[font=arial,]MITSUBA® 3.1 MP DIGITAL CAMERA / VIDEO CAMCORDER[/font]

is tempting me from buying a know decent still picture digital camera. This video cam does still shots as well, of course. There are no reviews OR user/owner feed back on the unit

[font=arial,]MITSUBA® 3.1 MP DIGITAL CAMERA / VIDEO CAMCORDER[/font]

do you know anything OR where to link me for SOME idea of the quality ?

2. acejones

acejones A Different Title

i haven't heard of it. I did a search for reviews, and while I didn't find any, I didn't search too hard either. I would be leary of purchasing something I couldn't research first.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I too have never heard of this camera and I work in the industry..... I would not even entertain buying any camera that is only listed on auction/overstocked/bargainbasement webby sites... not to say you couldnt get some good deals on them... but they would have to be major brand makes.

A reference point for digital cameras and reviews on them I would normally read these sites http://www.dpreview.com/ , http://www.dcresource.com/ or http://www.dcviews.com/ as the best sites on the net, other than that I do get to play with alot of cameras when I get time, mostly from Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Olympus, Kodak, Samsung, Pentax, etc etc

4. MARKKK

MARKKK Private E-2

I got the following responce from one of the distributors of this Dig Cam/ video camera
    "I was able to find that the Mitsuba DV5 3.1 Digital Camera/Camcorder has been available on our website for 26 days and we have sold 245. Out of the 245 sold only 3 have been returned to us. That gives a great return percentage of only 1.22%. "
    6 month limited Manufacturers warrant , with 2 yr. extended warranty service for $25.99. I am going to read the deatil on these warrantee right nor. the point I am aware of , is that this is a video camera for the price of a Digital STILL camera. Many of the reviews (OK some ) I read on well regarded digital camera are from displeased folks that had camera failutre inside the first year/ 90 days and and were faced with repair labor expenses MORE than the purchase price of the camera. Seems the warrantee issue on EVEN name brand dig cams is a supect "confidence" and a bit of a gamble , even with good known brands.

I don't mean to disregard your advice , as I am less knowledgable than you, but wante to provide this feed back from the store

5. DavidGP

Hey thats perfectly OK Markkk... I can only give you my thoughts on the camera you listed, sadly I cannot get hold of one through the distributers we use in work as they havnt heard of this camera either ( me being in UK ) so I couldnt give you a review on how its taken pictures printed out using high end mini-lab equipment.

ok they have only had a small proportion of cameras back but that was only within a 26 day period so doesnt really equal the return rates from the major brands who have had models in circulation over 12 months ( lets see this figure in 12 months time? ) plus the total sold vs returns for majors and that brand....

one thing to think about is the major part of any digital camera is its CCD different brands have diferent ways of using this NOT all 3.1mp CCDs are the same some give better quality pictures than others... Olympus, Fuji, Kodak, Nikon and Canon are all first rate when used in conjunction with pro lab printers and the max MP rate the camera will use, eg. any of the above cameras with min 2mp will give a superb 6x4 print and proberbly be passable at 7x5, 3.1mp will give superb 7x5 upto possibly 10x7 ( look closely tho and pixelation can be seen in slightly underexposed shots ).

with this camera being not widely known in the market place and return or user reviews even rarer you would be taking a risk, maybe the camera will be just what you need or wanted in relation to functions, the choice is yours ;)

quick question tho... is your primary function for a digital camera a video one or is that a secondary task you want it to perform? I ask this as if its secondary to a still digital, most digitals take mini movies these days.

if you get one Markkk let me know I'd be interested in your review of it and any samples you could post.

6. MARKKK

MARKKK Private E-2

i really appreciate the time you spent in addressing this rather curious market offering. My cursory observation ( from a total novice perspective) is that the effective resolution of the digi vid-Cam is HORRIBLE .No one has heard of the brand much less the model - I have better things to gamble on.
    . Even I could see in the product description some specs ( forgot the details now - and don't want to re- review them) but the Frame per second I do recall = 10 .
    I ended up getting aSONY DSC- p52 from a Sears open box clearance sale, $146 - and it takes 20 minutes of video WITH SOUND provided you /one has the 256MB memory stick pro- which raises a whole 'nother subject .
    What is going on with so many memory stick , duo , flash , micro drive formats ! ? Just so many different types you would think some one was afraid "standardization" would catch on and become habit forming. YOU BEEN REALLY HELPFUL

7. DavidGP

Nice camera Mark :)

yes the various media cards are a pain in the ass sometimes... I end up spending 30mins or more trying to help clients of ours decypher the various types... needless to say the one that comes with your camera is normally the only type you can use so if its a sony memory stick thats the only one that camera will take so forget the rest ( unless its a high end camera like the Fuji S2 Pro which takes a few different cards ) then we go onto the various makes of memory sticks.. sony, lexar, sandisk etc

a quick bit of info on memory cards and a list of popular memory sticks plus a limited few reviews on said cards
    http://www.pcphotoreview.com/memoryguidecrx.aspx

8. toolguy5844

toolguy5844 Private E-2

Once you could let slide, twice is just rude!

If you wish to advertise your products on Majorgeeks then please contact the owners for advertising rates http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=2 ( Tim or Jim )

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds