Dropped my laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 99xray, May 23, 2010.

1. 99xray

99xray Private E-2

I hope someone can help me with this one, I dropped my lap top from about one foot while it was turned on and open now I can't get it to turn on. I 've tried the repair option but that does nothing but bring me repeatedly back to the same screen and safe mode does the same thing, if you go in normally all it does is is scroll across. The computer was working right after it happened but really slow so I shut it down since then I can't get it started. I have tried everything I know :cry

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Might want to open the back panel and check that the RAM chips are not jarred loose.

3. 99xray

99xray Private E-2

Yeah undid the stuff on the back and checked everything but it's all snug from what I can tell

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Hard drive as well?

5. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Does it boot from a CD? The most vulnerable thing to being dropped is the hard drive in a laptop, since it's spinning when the PC is on. If that is the part that has died then your laptop is salvageable, though the data on the hard drive might of course be gone... which would suck horribly if you don't have a current back-up of it.

Are you getting any signs of life at all when you press the power button? Don't get hung up on the lack of "stuff" on the monitor... if the monitor is broken and the rest is perfectly fine, you can get access to everything by plugging in an external monitor to the laptop.

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

The scrolling suggests the hard drive- try removing battery, then removing and replacing the hard drive- the jarring may not cause yhe hard drive to go, if you are lucky.

7. 99xray

99xray Private E-2

Thank you all for your help, unfortunately it was my hard drive and had to replace it. Although it just doesn't seem like the old XPS any more...:(
    Someone is trying to recover, if they can, from my old hard drive and I also hadn't backed up for about 5 months very hard lesson learned didn't cost me a lot of money but it did cost me a lot of personal information

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds