A problem Windows XP with Service Pack 1

Discussion in 'Software' started by dsbnh, Apr 2, 2004.

1. dsbnh

dsbnh Private E-2

Every time I try to install this service pack it gives me an error regarding atapi.sys being in use by another program and that it should be closed first. The exact error merely points directly to the directory the atapi.sys file is in (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers). Now as far as I know it's impossible to stop the system from using this file as it's vital, so I am looking for any help on identifying what may be causing this error. Thanks for any assistance in advance it’s been driving me nuts trying to figure out how to fix this short of starting from scratch.

The system specifications are 2.25Ghz Pentium, 512 RAM and nothing much is installed now, simply the basics and some ATI video drivers, Audigy Sound Drivers and the rest of the windows updates. But if you have any idea what it may be, even despite that, the help will be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2004
  2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Would be wierd if USB is causing it...

atapi.sys is used by the atapi controllers only.

Are you using raid?

3. dsbnh

dsbnh Private E-2

Thanks everyone for the help. My Hard Drive size is 120GB and not much of it is being used, I disabled my Auto Protect feature in the virus software for the install but no good, let me know if I should disable anything else (the only other things I have running are a firewall and other things part of Norton).

My atapi.sys drivers version is listed as 5.1.2600.0, as far as LDA I believe it is but I am not sure. I have a limited knowledge on it but since my hard drive is fairly large I would assume so. And I am not using raid.

4. dsbnh

dsbnh Private E-2

I went and disabled it all but it gave me the same error, I guess it's safe to rule out the Norton stuff but I have nothing else running at the time.

5. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

Best guess, You've got some burning software running in the backround that is taking over the file. Disable incd/directcd and any other launchers/loaders associated with cd burning software. After that, I would check in the control panel, some software like clone cd and alcohol 120 will change your mode of access to the CD Roms and place a control panel applet

6. dsbnh

dsbnh Private E-2

Sadly nothing so far has worked. I tried EndItAll, thank you for the introduction it's a wonderful program, but sadly that didn't do much either. I checked to make sure no CD burning software or anything of that sort was there but that did nothing as well. Also I'd like to add I am uninstalling Norton and all that garbage and getting Zone Alarm Pro just in case.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2004
  7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The security CD from MS will make no difference...why would it?

I'm thinking maybe you should extract a new copy of atapi.sys from your CD (Using msconfig is easiest), then rename and replace it in Recovery Console.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I see. Pretty sure its just an installation issue.

9. dsbnh

dsbnh Private E-2

Update: I just tried part of what you suggested and renamed the file, it worked, it began downloading the file and installing it. So far so good, hope it installs smoothly.

Now I am wondering if I should even change the file's name back, since it might cause a problem again with SP 2 when it comes out. I hadn't tried changing it before as I was unsure of it's effects but unless I am told others, that it's a bad idea, I think I will leave it changed as to avoid any similar issues. Thanks once again.

Sounds good to me I can access 'msconfig' but how to use it to extract the driver from the cd, any tips on how to do that? Since my experience with this type of things is extremely limited. Thanks for the help.

P.S. I ordered the CD as well just to have it around, thanks for the link thundermoon.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2004
  10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310435

The file you want is atapi.sys.

The cabinet file is driver.cab.

However, now that I think about it, that most likely was a corrupt file. Renaming it most likely copied a good version from the dllcache.

If you can boot after renaming that file, then all should be good. Besides, SP1 is just going to install an updated version anyway for 48 bit LBA support.

11. udb

udb Private E-2

u got Daemon-tools or any other virtual cd emu running?
    >>disable it and SP1 shall install fine

[​IMG]at least over here ...good luck

12. udb

udb Private E-2

make that > uninstall Daemon-tools or any app like that

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  13. bete

bete Private E-2

dsbnh : I had the EXCATLY same problem as you.. and after reading these boards i tried to uninstall Daemon tools, whhooopsie.. there , it works.. yay :p.. Try to remove any Burning program/Fake cd rom program..

14. marqs

marqs Private E-2

I had exactly the same problem, in the end i fond out thar it was Daemon Tools that caused it. After uninstalling Daemon Tools the problem was gone

15. bete

bete Private E-2

Great, then daemon tools seem to cuase problems :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds