Updating motherboard chipset drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mishtyy, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Mishtyy

Mishtyy Private E-2

I've used google, but I am receiving very confusing results, and the manufacturer websites aren't helping. I am currently trying to update the chipset drivers on my motherboard, I have an ASUS K8S-LA motherboard that came with my HP Compaq Presario Sr1010Z, and ASUS's or HP's website didn't help me at all with updating the drivers. I found this link:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c00257657
    that helped me with identifying components, but I can't seem to find the drivers on ASUS's website. I also tried SIS's website but it didn't seem to have what I was looking for. It says I have SIS760 and SIS964 for north and south bridge chipsets. A google search for those two only brings me to third party websites.

Can anyone help me find the proper drivers? Also, does it need 2 separate downloads, one for each chipset?

2. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

3. Mishtyy

Mishtyy Private E-2

I get a message saying "The original drivers are stored in the C:\HP\Drivers\chipset folder. Please install through device manager"

4. _nullptr

To install through the Device Manager:
    • Click Start > Run (or Windows key + r) and enter devmgmt.msc into the Run box - click OK and you'll be at the Device Manager.
    • Click the + (plus) sign next to Other devices or System devices.
    • Right-click on SM Bus Controller or the device you want to update, and then select Update Driver.
    • The Hardware Update Wizard should now open.
    • From the radio buttons, select 'No, not this time', click Next.
    • Select 'Install from a list or specific location', click Next.
    • Put a checkmark in 'Include this location in the search' and paste in
      C:\HP\Drivers\Chipset\chipset_sis_agp or browse to the chipset_sis_agp folder.
    Click Next and the new driver, if suitable, will install.

5. Mishtyy

Mishtyy Private E-2

I don't see an SM bus controller in there or anything that sounds like a chipset.

I've attached a JPEG screenshot of my expanded 'system devices', that also includes an unknown device that I'm not too worried about, but I'm not sure if it may be a problem.

I'll try and find out what that unknown device is in the meantime while I'm waiting.

Edit: I'm using XP in case that helps any.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  6. _nullptr

After checking the contents of that installer, it seems the only drivers it has are for your SiS Accelerated Graphics Port.
    I'll have another look later, but at present I can't seem to locate anything other than those, that would suit your PC. :(

Hopefully someone else with a similar/same model HP will chime in.

7. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    depending on what OS you are running use the relevent tool to give me your system information....

1.) Win9x/ME/XP....

Run everest ..... http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Click Report (top menu) > Report Wizard > Next
    Choose System Summary Only > Next
    Choose Plain Text > Finish and wait for report to generate
    Click Save to File and leave the File Name as Report, then click the Save as Type dropdown and choose Report files (*txt) and click Save (n.b. Save to desktop is best as easy place to find it, use Browse to locate desktop)

Add the report in your next post like this.....

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86880

2.) Vista/Win 7....

Download the free, Speccy http://majorgeeks.com/Speccy_d6358.html then run Speccy and click File > Save as Text File, then attach the log as per instructions below (note: as Speccy also now lists more data it likely will have your Windows licence serial key also in the log, so look for Operating System and under that Serial Number and delete the code and Save the log)

Then attach your log to your next post as per these instructions http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86880

This will help me get the correct chipset driver for your system.

8. Mishtyy

Mishtyy Private E-2

Okay done

Attached Files:

9. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    Try this driver here....

http://drivers.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php?p=6065&t=0&i=1

if this does not work please let me know which country you are from and the exact model of your HP machine as it is written on your machine.
    I searched the SiS website and they dont do OEM chipset drivers just the individual ones for your gpu/audio/lan and sata/raid drivers

10. Mishtyy

Mishtyy Private E-2

I think the download servers for that link might be down. It'll load the page, but then firefox will get a 'problem loading page' error.

11. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Scratch that download.... here is the original chipset for your system...

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp26001-26500/sp26362.exe

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  12. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

13. Mishtyy

Mishtyy Private E-2

Great... I received a lot of "The file xx already exists, do you want to overwrite it?". I pressed Yes then eventually Yes to All after pressing Yes several times, then I was again prompted with "The original drivers are stored in the C:\HP\Drivers\chipset folder. Please install through device manager".

How do I even know if there are updates in the first place? I'm thinking if that was the only download, then there might not be a newer version, in which case, does uninstalling and reinstalling have any effect?

14. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

If you system is running as it should be then it is best to leave driver updates alone ... unless it is a released version that is directly linked to an issue that you are having ... as your system is telling you it has already got the driver for the chipset and does not want to install the one that you are trying to install tells me that you already have a recent version and your system is stable, are there any yellow ! in your device manager? if so let me know.

15. Mishtyy

Mishtyy Private E-2

Yes I have one in other devices, the picture of it is in the 5th post

16. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

17. Mishtyy

Mishtyy Private E-2

Thanks, it was just a remnant left over from Super AntiSpyware, which I got rid of using the proper uninstaller.

It's not exactly running perfectly, but I'll just take my problems to another thread if necessary. I was suggested by a website to update or install my chipset drivers to fix an issue with sound and other problems, which is why I asked.

Thanks for your help.

18. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    I am pleased that you remedied they yellow! in your device manager.

I hope you haven't took me the wrong way in my #14 post??? I am more than willing to help you try to solve any issues you are having with your PC ;).
    You say that you were pointed to re-installing your chipset driver to resolve some issues on your PC... can you explain to me(as best that you can) as to what issues you are experiencing, you mentioned that audio was one?? have you got audio?? or is it a problem with playback??

19. Mishtyy

Mishtyy Private E-2

The problem is a little difficult to explain, but I'll do my best. At random times, maybe once every 2 weeks, but it used to be almost daily, I'll lose my sound. The loss of sound is accompanied by extremely slow startups, inability to uninstall drivers, and I can't shut down through windows or it'll get stuck at the 'Windows is shutting down..." blue screen. I can manage to fix the sound with great difficulty, but it can take hours sometimes, and it gets very annoying and tiresome. I've found that keeping my DVD drive unplugged greatly helps in fixing it, for some reason.

I can't always uninstall my sound drivers when this happens, because when I do, it'll freeze indefinitely. Sometime I can do it through safe mode, and sometime when I do it, it'll reinstall but isn't configured properly, so it doesn't work. I can't configure or update it because windows never finds a better match. And sometimes, it just fixes itself overnight somehow.

It started maybe 6 months ago but I've had immense trouble in finding a solution and plus it doesn't happen too often now, so I'm not extremely worried, but a fix would be great. (Also, don't suggest I have malware, I've done the cleaning twice, on here and on a different site)

20. Mishtyy

Mishtyy Private E-2

Also, forgot to add, the sound loss is a 'no audio device' in control panel kind, but my drivers are still installed and seem to be functioning properly. No lag or any forewarning of any kind accompanies this, about a week ago I got up to eat dinner, and when I came back, my sound didn't work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds