Computer won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeN, Aug 10, 2005.

1. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

This is a 5 year old computer running Win. 98 SE, when powered up the LED for the CD-ROM, main power and hard drive on the front of the tower all come on and stay on, the floppy does not lite up at all, the key board flashes the num,cap and scroll lock LED'S then they all go off, and the monitor flashes a quick text box that says "no signal found OR cable unhooked" then various square colored boxes come and go on the screen - the fan for the power pack IS working - and I replaced the CMOS battery to no avail - this computer had been working fine with no appearent problems - not sure where to start trouble shooting - I've tried to start in "safe mode " and also to get into the Bios"setup" but it is a no go - any thoughts ????[​IMG]

2. Franklin

Franklin Corporal

First off I would try the simple things.Turn the power off at the outlet for a coupla minutes.
    If no go,blow out all the dust then reseat the cables and hardware and work from there.

3. Ruebarb

Ruebarb Private First Class

This is definately a hardware problem, is this onboard graphics or add-on card? Have you check the connection of the monitor cord to the vga port? Also Need a Mod to bump this to hardware section

4. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

First - sorry for posting in wrong Forum, wasn't sure where to start, the Graphics card is a stand alone card, not part of the mother board, all cables have been checked when I replaced the battery - and yes all power was disconnected and allowed to stand for quite some time - this is not my computer, it is at friends house quite some distance from me - so it may take me a while to reply - what next ??????

5. Ruebarb

Ruebarb Private First Class

Have you taken the card out and reseated it back into the mobo?

6. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

Did not try that, will do that next -

7. kjanz

kjanz Corporal

change out the main power supply

8. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

I'm having the computer brought to my house this coming week, this will make trouble shooting much easier, as far as the power pac goes, if the fan is running does that mean the power pac is OK, or how can I check to see if it is the power pac with out removing it ???

9. pacvan

pacvan Private First Class

Try out a different video card and a different monitor on your computer.

10. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

Quick up-date on this problem, finally got computer to my house, reseated cards and power supply to drives and everything works now ??? Go figure!! Have software problem after installing new CD burner and Card Reader - will post under Software - Thanks for the help with the Hardware issue -

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds