What's the best movie you've seen in the last year or so?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rikky, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

There have been a couple I've really enjoyed,Watchmen stands out as one of the best movies I've seen in my life must have watched it 4 times now,just epic.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409459/

But the one that took me by surprise is Bad Lieutenant which I watched again this morning:-D It's the reason for the thread really I just wanted to pass on a link to this IMO great movie,nothing like the budget or fanfare of Watchmen or Avatar just a really tight movie that has a different feel.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1095217/

Love to hear what you guys have enjoyed over the past year or more:)

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

GI Joe.

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

We don't hit the theaters too much, but we really liked The Book Of Eli and Inception.

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Is Bad Lieutenant the first Werner Herzog movie you've seen, Rikky?

He may not be a Hollywood favourite but he puts his all into his movies. Checking UK showings now.

5. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

How To Train Your Dragon was surprisingly good. :)

6. Rikky

I've looked through his resume and the only other I know I've seen is Rescue Dawn which I thought was average but I knew the real story and it was butchered and turned into a one man saves the day hollywood script.

I saw this in there

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1233219/

Michael Shannon is amazing in my opinion he also plays a small role in bad lieutenant,I'm gonna look out for it.

7. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Some of these movies are a little old but I just saw them this year and I thought they were really good, watched them more than once! (if I watch a movie more than once, then you know it's good :-D )

1) Fireproof
    2) The Blind Side (I love it even more because it's a true story :))
    3) Did I Get Married?
    4) Why Did I Get Married Too?

This movie was surprisingly good. I enjoyed it a lot.

8. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

My memory is bad so, in the last couple of weeks or so:

Hereafter: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1212419/

This movie was very understated and not at all overacted. It was almost done as if it was a documentary. There was never any of that drama you expect from movies. Basically it was just a study of death.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  9. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

The blu-ray edition is sold out in every single store I've been to. I might get it off Amazon. Toothless is awesome. He's like a big flying Stitch with a built-in flamethrower! :-D

10. Rikky

11. LauraR

I wouldn't call it at all a romance, Rikky. If people are viewing it as one, they have a sad sense of romance. lol I guess it could be thought of that going by the last 15 minutes, but the rest had to do with death and what happens after.

Oh!!!! Hahahaha roflmao I just looked at your link and realized I put the wrong title down. It's Hereafter: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1212419/

(Going to edit my last post)

12. Rikky

Death scares the living NH22CO out of me so I should enjoy it,wow 7.8/10.

Hey Laura stop abusing your mod power:-D Can you put an 'o' instead of an 'i' before the 'f' in my 'study of death':-D

13. LauraR

You should see it then. It's a little strange though the way it's acted. It took a little bit for me to stop wondering when things were going to start to blow up and the action was going to start. LOL

Nah...that would be abusing my Mod powers. :-D

14. Rikky

Its funny I have no problem spelling large words its the small one's I always skip over,the if,it's,to.

15. runningcart

runningcart Corporal

have to agree about inception and Iron Man 2. I also really enjoyed RDj and Jude Law in Sherlock Holmes.

@ mims and dyamond - didn't go to see How to train your dragon, but have you read the books? its great having a younger brother :-D

i've been to the cinema quite a lot this year... THANK YOU ORANGE WEDENSDAYS!!!!! :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  16. Rikky

I'm looking forward to inception when it comes out over here there have been very few dream orientated movies which is something I'm fascinated in,the last dream based movie I can think of is A Nightmare on Elm St.

I thought Iron man 1 was incredibly over rated,one of the most over rated movies ever actually :-D IMDB has it at 7.9/10 What am I missing?It was just a bog standard super hero flick the story was totally uninspired I don't think I've ever watched a movie with a score so high and not really enjoyed it,I even think RDJ is great.

Maybe a second viewing is in order...:confused

If you don't mind subtitles check this one out,one of the best foreign movies I've seen recently,the story centres around a female hacker who has mental issues so a cool geeky theme.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132620/

Any foreign movies you've loved in past year too if you please,subtitled though not dubbed!

EDIT what's Orange Wednesdays?

17. runningcart

runningcart Corporal

the books are immense :) can't wait for the other film to come out. they're making a hollywood version too btw, in english with no subtitles (starring Daniel Craig i think)it won't be as good as the swedish version though.

18. Rikky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlF-hk3IJQE

Yeah I read about that,its the girl who's the star though and who'll make the film,anyone could play the male lead and it wouldn't make any difference to the movie.

As soon as I'd finished watching it I checked out Noomi Rapace,the role she played was amazing I think she's gonna be big.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0636426/

There's something that Eurpean female leads bring to roles that hollywood females can't match,they have a passion and intensity that's just Raw!

Rooney Mara's playing the female lead,dunno who she is or if she's any good,she looks too cute anyway.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1913734/

Again what's Orange Wednesdays?:-D

19. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Spoiler Alert: Some people say Eli was blind, what do you think?

20. dyamond

200 Pounds Beauty, He Was Cool,...ing, 100 Days With Mr. Arrogant, Attack On The Pin-Up Boys, Kick The Moon, Kidnapping Granny K.. and so many other (too many to list) Korean movies. I have a fondness for them, I've seen so many I've started to learn some basic words :-D

21. dyamond

200 Pounds Beauty, He Was Cool,...ing, 100 Days With Mr. Arrogant, Attack On The Pin-Up Boys, Kick The Moon, Kidnapping Granny K.. and so many other (too many to list) Korean movies. I have a fondness for them, I've seen so many I've started to learn some basic words :-D

22. Rikky

Damn there's a few nights viewing in there thanks,I love Korean movies too,sometimes the acting isn't great but the comedy timing is always spot on.

So which is your favourite in the past 12months?And all time?Just one for each and in one post please :neener

23. dyamond

There are so many more I didn't list.. If you need more titles just let me know LOL

Hey, I didn't double post on purpose :p I guess the enter button really likes me :-D

My favorite Korean movie is the past 12 months? That is tough, I've seen a lot and they are pretty good/funny but I'll have to say... Kidnapping Granny K. That one was particularly funny.

Favorite of all time? 200 Pounds Beauty.

24. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

I never thought he was, but my wife and son both thought so. We'll call that a tie. ;)

Frankly, when it comes to armed combat, and with all other abilities and factors being equal, I don't think a blind person stands a chance in hell against a sighted person. My opinion.

We're looking forward to Unstoppable - looks like a fun ride.

25. runningcart

runningcart Corporal

lol you could say not my type...

ahh missed your edit, orange is the phone company and if you have a contract or whatever with them, they get you buy one get one free cinema tickets on a wednesday :) so its all cheapy cheap and i can go more often :-D
    i'm going to see Despicable Me tomoro i think

I have no experience in korean movies, but i do have a few korean phrases from my friend... i can say hello 'anyong', sing 'heads, shoulders, knees and toes' (not sure why but i can) and i love you 'sarang hae' LOL

26. Rikky

27. dyamond

28. runningcart

runningcart Corporal

lol i think hes pointing at how to use the forums

29. dyamond

I know how to use the forums, I can't help having a click happy enter button :p LOL

30. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

I don't know about favourites, because I haven't seen a true favourite for a long time, ( unless you count Avitar, which was pretty good).

Gunless was a Western with a difference, for sure; How To Train Your Dragon was not bad; Blind Side, I saw a while back and was good; Iron Man 2, Meh, okay; The Infidel - An English movie and a bit of a laugh, ringing a few home truths if you've ever lived in suburban U.K.; Eat, Pray, Love - My friend loved it - Me not so much, (A little bit "girly" for me); Robin Hood ,(with Russell Crowe), wasn't as lame as I'd thought it would be; a while back - Seven Pounds was good, i.m.o.; Cats & Dogs2; Toy Story 3 were what I expected - kiddy stuff, but okay; Machete - Average cop hack and slash.

Okay, I'm done for now, LoL!

Oh yeah, The Last Air Bender was a good one, too.;)

31. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I didn't know they made a movie of it. Thanks for that.

32. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Got all the XMEN movies bought for me in a box set, they were absolutely fantastic and i could watch them over and over again !

33. LauraR

Oh, I know a movie I just watched on DVD that I had had for 6 months from Netflix before I watched it because the talk was so horrible! A friend was watching it and said how good it was. I have to say it was actually very entertaining.

I am Legend: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480249/

It was a pretty cool action/horror movie. I really enjoyed it.

34. Rikky

If you didn't like how it ended,get hold of a DVD copy in the bonus features is an alternative ending.

Or

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=i+am+legend+alternate+ending&aq=1

35. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Iron Man, oddly enough . . . I really thought it was going to be bad. Can't wait to see the sequel.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds